News:

Main Menu

SCSI cable

Started by Joe, September 16, 2014, 11:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Looks like we might have a bad SCSI cable of one of our CTP units. Scouring the net for either a 25 ft. or 50 ft. (25 ft. is probably too short) and the longest I am finding is a 12 ft. cable. Anyone have a source for a longer cable.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

let me know if you find one, I may need one about 200 foot long...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Joe

Quote from: born2print on September 16, 2014, 12:20:04 PMhttp://www.cmtcables.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=86

Thanks. I will give them a call as soon as I know for sure what our specs are. Looks like at best the max length will be 12 meters (39+ feet).

born2print

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

Clearing the cobwebs out of my brain, I remember that SCSI has length limitations. If i remember correctly, 25 feet is the max limit.

Joe

The card in the PC is an Ultra 3 and looking up the specs for Ultra 3 and it says the max cable length is 12 meters which is a little over 39 feet. It comes out of our PC and up a wall into the ceiling then across the ceiling into the next room and then drops down to the CTP unit. It will take every bit of the 39 ft. cable.

I recommended they trash these two CTP units and get new ones. You should have seen the look I got. :laugh:

DigiCorn

I think I found one last night while cleaning up. How much are you willing to pay for this cable?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

It depends. $0 to $howevermuchittakes...How long is it? What kind of ends are on it? And can you guarantee it works?

DigiCorn

Let me go double check it, and make sure it's what you're looking for first.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

The "long" cable I found turned out to be a backup cable for our Screen. I did find a SCSI, but it was only about 6 feet.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Joe on September 16, 2014, 05:33:37 PMThe card in the PC is an Ultra 3 and looking up the specs for Ultra 3 and it says the max cable length is 12 meters which is a little over 39 feet. It comes out of our PC and up a wall into the ceiling then across the ceiling into the next room and then drops down to the CTP unit. It will take every bit of the 39 ft. cable.

You could do it with a shorter cable if you go through the wall instead of up n over.  And you get to play with power tools to make the hole.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

David

Quote from: StudioMonkey on September 18, 2014, 04:37:36 AM
Quote from: Joe on September 16, 2014, 05:33:37 PMThe card in the PC is an Ultra 3 and looking up the specs for Ultra 3 and it says the max cable length is 12 meters which is a little over 39 feet. It comes out of our PC and up a wall into the ceiling then across the ceiling into the next room and then drops down to the CTP unit. It will take every bit of the 39 ft. cable.

You could do it with a shorter cable if you go through the wall instead of up n over.  And you get to play with power tools to make the hole.

power tools hell, all you need is the BFH...

and a beer.

(BFH is the big fuckin' hammer)   :ninja:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Depends on if it's a sheetrock wall or cinderblock.

The latter needs a least a 12 and the RBFH.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job