PitStop Action - create rectangle to trim box dimensions

Started by Kalessin, November 28, 2007, 12:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalessin

Does anyone know if there's a way to create a rectangle in PitStop, to the position and dimensions of the trim or bleed boxes? You can position the upper left corner of the rectangle to the upper left corner of the trim box, for example, but I can find no way of automatically matching the size.

Joe

I think, in Inspector, you can do it in the Position tab. Don't have Pitstop handy to check right now.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Kalessin

Yes, there is, but I want to do it through PitStop Actions, so I can automate adding the rectangle to every page in a PDF, regardless of its dimensions.

almaink

Not what you asked, but if you have InDesign it may be faster to just import the PDF to a new Indy file and put the rectangle on a master page, then just refry the PDF.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Captain_Type

There is a way, but it's a bit messy.

You have to add a vertical and horizontal from each corner of the trim box (8 in all), and make them at least half the size of the largest pdf you'll receive.

You end up with two rules on each side, and they stick out over the crop marks, but it works.

Don't forget to set them to overprint.

Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Kermy812

I know this is old, but I have an action that will add a rectangle on a blank page, then use "change objects that are close to the page edge" set at 100 inches and will enlarge the rectangle to the trim box size. See attached. Is there anyway I can do this without adding a blank page at the beginning of the action or move the rectangle with the action to another page? I'm on PitStop 12... See attached.

DCurry

I've got 13 so this might not be in 12, but worth looking. There's a built-in Action List called "Add a Stroke to the Trim Box for Visualization."

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

Yes! and you can edit that too!
you have to create a new action to edit just duplicate and edit

Joe

DCurry has the winning formula if you have that it in Pitstop 12.

abc

It's really easy, we added some functionality to make it easier!

Add Object Action
Pick Rectangle as the object
Pick use Page Box - 'Trim' and/or 'Bleed'
Set the rest of the options, position/fill/Stroke etc

Done!

Joe

Quote from: abc on September 22, 2018, 02:05:17 AMIt's really easy, we added some functionality to make it easier!

Add Object Action
Pick Rectangle as the object
Pick use Page Box - 'Trim' and/or 'Bleed'
Set the rest of the options, position/fill/Stroke etc

Done!

In Pitstop 12?

abc

Hi Joe
Nope it's not in that version.
I noticed the original question did not specify a version.

If that's not available, then the old workaround would be needed. (as discussed).

Joe

Reply #5 asked the latest question, 11 years after the original question ;D , and he asked about Pitstop 12.

Kermy812

It sounds like I'm out of luck - I'm on Pitstop 12 still.
Add a Stroke to the Trim Box for Visualization & "Pick use Page Box - 'Trim' and/or 'Bleed' isn't in 12.
Drawing lines can be done, but I need as a rectangle/closed shape.
My existing action works "OK", but then I have to do manual steps of selecting/copy/pasting, then deleting the blank page. It would be nice just to get rid of those steps...

Joe

Do you just want an on screen visualization of the trim box? I ask because I know Acrobat XI and DC can view the page boxes by a preference setting. Not sure about previous versions.