Flatening all transparencies

Started by tapdn, February 18, 2009, 04:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapdn

I have been charged with the job of publishing all our magizines to the web. The procedure is after we close an issue I make an optimized multi-page PDF and include all links. This is uploaded to our web host. The problem is the host does not want any transparencies in the multi-page PDF. They are created on Mac, but the link embedding and optimization is done on PC using Acrobat 9. Works well, but there is always three or so pages that still have transparencies and the host either kicks them back or charges to fix them. Any ideas on surefire way to flatten and still retail embedded links?
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Have you tried the built-in flattening with Acrobat 9? Works great for me on the Mac. Haven't tried the PC version though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 18, 2009, 05:01:18 PMDownsave the version to 1.3.

That was my tried and true method for a long time but I've started seeing some (bad) issues with doing this to PDF's made with CS3 and CS4. It will look fine on screen but have stuff missing after going through the RIP. It seems especially bad on CS3 PDF's that ID flattens during export.

Things like this. The first shot is the PDF as exported from ID as a PDF 1.3. The second shot is the ripped file.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Just make it complicated Joe. In actuality, if it were me... I would export the PDF as .ps and redestill it as a 1.3 PDF. Then taking a minute to confirm the transition worked. I have had flattening go south using Acrobat 7, 8 and 9. Of course I caught it, because I looked at it... apparently something Desingers today can't or won't do.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

The problem with that particular file was it was supplied to me as the 1.3 PDF out of ID which you know is already flattened. I have had transparency go south using PS/Distill but I catch them too. I've just had better success lately flattening out of Acrobat 9. Right or wrong, my theory is that 1.3 is too old of a format to understand the things InDesign is throwing at it and for me Acrobat 9 does a better job.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I'll definately watch for it. I rarely export out of InDesign as PDF. I still do the tried and true Postscript/Distill method. However, I had a job bite me in the ass doing this. Only thing that fixed was exporting. I think really, both methods "should" work, however, we cannot trust that alone. HAVE to look these files over, then do it again. No one can take an ass-chewing better than me, but I would prefer it to be about my foul mouth and not my apparent overlooking of obvious mistakes.

So, to wrap it up... Exporting NOT reliable - PS/Distill NOT reliable - Flattening in any version of Acrobat NOT reliable. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Definitely! You cannot trust any of this shit. Absolutely nothing!!! We agree on that.  :laugh:

Chelle

I feel like I'm in an "X-Files" episode... Trust no one... :rolleyes:
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on February 18, 2009, 06:22:13 PMDefinitely! You cannot trust any of this shit. Absolutely nothing!!! We agree on that.  :laugh:

Now... will you be a fellow and please pass the A-1 Ninja Master Joe?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 18, 2009, 06:24:25 PM
Quote from: Joe on February 18, 2009, 06:22:13 PMDefinitely! You cannot trust any of this shit. Absolutely nothing!!! We agree on that.  :laugh:

Now... will you be a fellow and please pass the A-1 Ninja Master Joe?

As soon as my fries get here.  :angry:

tapdn

This needs to be quick, down an dirty because I be dealing with around 200 tabloid pages asap. Where be built-in flattening in Acrobat 9, Joe?
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Advanced menu, Print Production, Flattener Preview. I set it up like this but you can change the settings for your exact needs:

frailer

That Print Production Tool Bar now resides permanently, top right, under PSP Tools.    :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 19, 2009, 01:44:06 AMThat Print Production Tool Bar now resides permanently, top right, under PSP Tools.    :cheesy:

Another thing that is nice about Acrobat 9. You can put those toolbars at the top, bottom, right or left of the screen. I've got Print Production and Advanced Editing tools down the left side and PSP down the right side and have moved the navigation buttons for 1st page, Previous page, Next page, Last page, Page number, Zoom and Page Size across the bottom and then have the standard Acrobat toolbars up at the top. I pity the fool that messes with my toolbars!  :death: