spotlight icon at startup!!!! Help!!!

Started by tapdn, June 12, 2009, 06:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapdn

I know I have seen this issue discussed, but unable to locate it and under the gun at work.
At startup all I get is the spotlight icon in top right corner. Able to restart in safe mode (shift key) and restart sometimes fixes, but lately that isn't working. Ran all scripts, etc from external HD and coctail, but this morning the machine is acting up again. Help!!!

PPC G5 OSX 10.4.11
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

DigitalCrapShoveler

Your Spotlight Prefs have gone KAPOOT! Trash them.
Member #285 - Civilian

chris_r

ive had this happen before - and it hasnt always been the preferences.  the last time it happened to me, it turned out that someone had loaded a folder with about 20,000 fonts in it into my system fonts folder.  i booted up in safe mode, cleaned out my fonts folder, and everything was back to normal.

DigitalCrapShoveler

True, but trashing your Prefs would be the first thing to try, because it is the most common reason for this problem. It happens to me about every 3 months or so. Works every time. I have had other things, such as bloated folders do the same thing, but it is more a rarity.
Member #285 - Civilian

tapdn

I suspect Onyx and some feckin screensaver crap, but can't get anyone to admit installing anything new lately!
Deleted spotlight cache as part of Coctail procedure DCS, but will try deleting pref...
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

David

start up in safe mode (restart with the shift key held down (beware of finger cramps, this may take a few minutes).
go to your user/home/library/preferences and trash your finder.plist

then restart and you're good to go.

do it all the time, only sure fire way to fix it.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

That's taking it a step beyond, but I can see that working too. Oh, and Tap, deleting the Cache is not the same as deleting the Pref/PList itself. From what I have read on it, when the Spotlight cache is wiped, the same possible corrupt log Spotlight refers to, is still in use. Deleting the Pref, that log is regenerated.
Member #285 - Civilian

Foozball

ONYX actually addresses this issue with a check-box if you go through all your clean-up options - It's under: Maintenence/Reset - Spotlight Index.

I only just got over a really bad bout of it, wasting about 10 minutes EVERY morning for a full week - starting in Safe Mode and running Onyx, but now my computer runs like a dream, and boots up in no time.
I wish you better luck though!  :wink:

David

The reason for tossing the finder.plist is that the spotlight prefs are in different places depending on your version of Mac and the OS. Like an Intel Mac is different than a G5 or a G4 (we have a mixed bag of Macs here, that's why I know). The finder.plist is always in the same place regardless.

Either way, whatever works for you, I just like it easy peasy, and this always works.

cheers!
it's FRIDAY!! woot!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

tapdn

Thanx David. Trashing the spotlight prefs seems to have worked, so I will go with that for the time being. Weird "?" thing on every window next to the spotlight search. Normal?
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Foozball

OK, thanks David!!
In that case, I just book-marked this thread, to save myself a few grey hairs! :grin:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: tapdn on June 12, 2009, 07:32:34 AMThanx David. Trashing the spotlight prefs seems to have worked, so I will go with that for the time being. Weird "?" thing on every window next to the spotlight search. Normal?

Not on mine. I believe based on your description, Spotlight has lost connection to a network or local drive that is had one time indexed, hence the Question Mark. How it got that way, I do not know.

Good tip Dave, I'll try that next time.
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

the question mark is something to do with indexing - for searching - i think :undecided:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

DigitalCrapShoveler

That's what I said. You into the Catnip again?
Member #285 - Civilian

tapdn

~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb