Stuffit alternative

Started by ninjaPB_43, October 09, 2007, 09:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

Sorry, wasnt sure where to put this..

What's the crowd using to stuff and unstuff files?  any alternatives(possibly free) to Stuffit?

:D
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

doubting_thomas

I use the Finder's archive function.

Joe

Same here on the Finders Archive function and to unzip I use the finders BomArchiverHelper in the System:Library:CoreServices folder for ZIP files. I put in my dock and just drag and drop zip files on it. Still have to use stuffit for .sit files though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

anybody tried "The Unarchiver - 1.6" 
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

doubting_thomas

Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on October 09, 2007, 09:33:52 AManybody tried "The Unarchiver - 1.6" 

I don't need anything else for compressing or decompressing print files, so no.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: doubting_thomas on October 09, 2007, 09:36:33 AM
Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on October 09, 2007, 09:33:52 AManybody tried "The Unarchiver - 1.6" 

I don't need anything else for compressing or decompressing print files, so no.

alright...   gotcha..   ;)   thanks anyway. :-\

mwc

Yeah, we just use the native tools that are available in the OS these days.

Mac OSX (10.3 +) -
   Place the items to compress in a folder. (Long archive folder names or names with non-alphanumeric characters are discouraged.)
   Select the folder.
   Use the "create archive" command from the finder file menu to make a .ZIP file
   (for further information, search for "archive" from the Mac FINDER --> HELP menu)

PC - WinXP -
   Make a new folder with the FILE-->NEW-->Compressed(Zipped) folder. (Long archive folder names or names with non-alphanumeric characters are discouraged.)
   Add your items to the folder, they will be compressed in the folder.
   (for further information, search for "compress" from the START menu -->HELP area)
   Can be decompressed with later versions of the Stuffit Expander,WinZip and similar utilities on PC.

ninjaPB_43

Thanks..  I already know how to use the "built ins"..   I was more asking because why would Allume think they could even still get $80 for Stuffit?   Why would these other 3rd party apps be around?..   I asked about what alternatives were there to see what turned up outside of my own searching..   just trying to see what all is out there and how much.. 

im bored..    :'(

Joe

Try this page. It lists almost everything under the sun.

Compression, Encoding & Disk Images
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mwc

i find that the "built-ins" compression are usually pretty weak in giving a real efficient cramming of the data....the commercial and shareware apps seem to be better at keeping the filesizes low. But in this day of fast internet and using ftp and other file-sending services - I rarely care these days...

ninjaPB_43

frailer

QuoteBut in this day of fast internet and using ftp and other file-sending services - I rarely care these days...

Recently solved [here] an ftp file transfer problem by making sure they were Stuffing at the send end. Problems disappeared. Just a note of caution. :)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

born2print

Quote from: frailer on October 16, 2007, 11:28:28 PM
QuoteBut in this day of fast internet and using ftp and other file-sending services - I rarely care these days...

Recently solved [here] an ftp file transfer problem by making sure they were Stuffing at the send end. Problems disappeared. Just a note of caution. :)
Good point, I often ask content providers to stuff stuff for file protection, not to reduce file size.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...