Temperature of the room your platemaker is in

Started by Farabomb, December 12, 2017, 12:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I will assume that most have your platemakers in an isolated room. Maybe it's in with you in prepress, maybe a dedicated room. If you can please bring in or maybe read the thermostat in the room and give me the ambient air temperature. I'm curious since I've been having issues that only manifest when there is a major temperature swing. I walk in in the morning and it's downright cold. All the metal is cold to the touch, including the plates.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DPSprint

Ours is now in the main factory but it is temp controlled, 20-22degree celcius... we did used to have it in non air con area but it was never that cold luckily, more likely to suffer from too much heat than cold.
Generally they are known to operate better in temp controlled situation. Just like paper, that was always a huge issue in the old factory, paper too damp from cold usually.

Ear

Ours is in a controlled room too... between 70-75f all year. Platesetters and computers in general do not like wild temp and humidity swings. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Santa

It can be as cold as 58 and as high as 75.  No humidity control.  Big cinder block walled room with a wall air conditioner and heating vent. They slip my meals through the bars in the windows.

born2print

We have climate control in prep, but it's outta control. I have to wear a puffy coat year-round. I look like Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining.
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

DigiCorn

Ask anyone who wears glasses what it's like to go from cold outside to warm inside. That's what happens to the laser inside a platesetter.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

What is it that you throw-away the outside, then cook the inside...
then you eat the outside and throw-away the inside?

Spoiler
Corn on the cob
[close]
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Possum

Our platemaker is in the room with the thermostat. It's currently 70 degrees, but it's set to 55 at night. I have to heat up the room before I can make a plate (or cool it down in the summer). Humidity control?   :lmao:

Summer is even more interesting. We can't get the room cool enough that the machine doesn't beep and tell me to make it cooler.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Ear

Mine will give a temp warning if it hits 81 in the room. 

And Corn is right... I've had the power go out in summer and winter and have the platesetter take 2 hours because of "condensation on the lasers", which is the error it gave. And this is the west coast, FFS.... can't imagine being in a more humid region with no environment control.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

ours is just outside my room, on the other side of a wall with big glass windows, 70º most days.
 :cool:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Controlled temp room here. Stays about 68° year round.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Tracy

Just Kidding, I don't really need too much heat, maybe a couple weeks in the Winter
Summer I need Air, I try not to let it get above 76

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Lucky ducky. It was 18 degrees f at the bus stop this morning.... it's a hazy 39 right meow.