Job Bag Free Prepress!!

Started by Exploded, October 16, 2009, 03:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exploded

Hey guys,

I was wondering how many people are working in prepress environments that only have digital job bags. I recently visited a big bulk run print shop running a full JDF workflow and the job bag was only generated once one the job hit the press floor. Before that it was fully digital. How many people are doing this? It was quite amazing imo

Chelle

Not where I am. We have enough issues w/things written on paper. Heaven forbid people would have to look things up. :laugh:
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Skryber

I wish we could be job bagless. Ours are so old. They have duct tape and staples all over them. And when they get real heavy, you will get a tear in the bag, papers all over the floor and staples in your fingers.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

Quote from: Skryber on October 16, 2009, 09:54:50 AMI wish we could be job bagless. Ours are so old. They have duct tape and staples all over them. And when they get real heavy, you will get a tear in the bag, papers all over the floor and staples in your fingers.

You guys are serious? You actually have bags with info in them? What a novel idea. If I'm lucky I get a scrap of paper with something on it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

Ours are like 9x13 manila envelopes that we tape work order on. What's a job bag again?
..and BTW it's no work bagging a bindery whore!
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

youston

Quote from: Joe on October 16, 2009, 09:56:54 AM
Quote from: Skryber on October 16, 2009, 09:54:50 AMI wish we could be job bagless. Ours are so old. They have duct tape and staples all over them. And when they get real heavy, you will get a tear in the bag, papers all over the floor and staples in your fingers.

You guys are serious? You actually have bags with info in them? What a novel idea. If I'm lucky I get a scrap of paper with something on it.

Note that NOWHERE in here is anyone claiming that the info is correct or timely.

gnubler

Most shops I've worked in have had "job bags" (are we talking about what Skyrber is talking about?). And most of them have been exactly as Skryber described - mutilated, stapled, taped, etc.  :laugh:

I worked in a small shop once for less than two weeks (it was dead, so I just stopped going) and instead of using job bags they used old metal plate boxes to put job tickets in.  :huh: The very thin boxes that are a foot wide and two feet tall, each one with a few pieces of paper in it for each job. Totally stupid. Maybe that's why I quit.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Skryber

Yeah we keep POs in there, previous samples, proofs, job ticket, paper order, customers disks, alt docs, hate mail......keeps everything together......with the duct tape. Where can I buy new ones?  Big ones....about 25 x 30 inches more or less. Ours are seriously 50 years old.

edit: we hang them on hooks on the wall. It's very organized in the prepress dept. Proof out section, jobs in section, okay to plate section, needs corrected section.......
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

gnubler

Joe, we should start a new thread with scans of such "job tickets" posted for all to see. I get some really good ones because two of our salespeople are apparently functionally illiterate.

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Skryber

Quote from: gnubler on October 16, 2009, 10:03:42 AM

Joe, we should start a new thread with scans of such "job tickets" posted for all to see. I get some really good ones because two of our salespeople are apparently functionally illiterate.

Oooooh, I'll bring my camera Monday. Well have a contest. Who has the most mutilated job bag.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I got a Bindery Whore that would trump just about anything you guys post. We call her "Blood Groove" or "Toofers," because of the VERY large gap in her extruded upper teeth. She is AWESOME!
Member #285 - Civilian