Proofing large PDF files over email HELP please

Started by Exploded, November 13, 2009, 08:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exploded

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had a solution for proofing large PDF files over email. We where using yousendit but when a client reply's to a yousendit email to say the files are approved the reply the email goes to delivery@yousendit.com and not back to us.

What are our people using?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Sendspace.com... I despise YouSendIt. I e-mail the link to my clients via MY e-mail, so there is NO confusion. Works like a dream, plus you don't have to sign up, it is unlimited as far as I know and it is very reliable. It does have a 300 MB per file cap.
Member #285 - Civilian

Exploded

ninjaPB_43

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

frailer

Another alternative, which I use, for work and home, is to sign up for an acrobatdotcom account.

https://www.acrobat.com/#/share/ShareBegin

Once signed up, it's there for you to use for all sorts, including what you're after. Free, 5GB. time-unlimited online storage. "Sharing" files, which is essentially what you want to do. Once your job's safely out the door, you can just Delete from your A/C~site.

I use a webmail as its contact point. That way you can access/send from anywhere you're online. A great alternative to yousendit-style sites.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Exploded

It appears sendspace has the same problem, the reply email goes to no-reply@sendspace.com not the real sender (me).

I gave pando a go (www.pando.com) and it lets the reply go to the my email address but a client has to download pando to download the file.

Joe

Quote from: Exploded on November 13, 2009, 08:51:18 PMIt appears sendspace has the same problem, the reply email goes to no-reply@sendspace.com not the real sender (me).

I gave pando a go (www.pando.com) and it lets the reply go to the my email address but a client has to download pando to download the file.

That's why DCS said, "I e-mail the link to my clients via MY e-mail, so there is NO confusion."
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Exploded on November 13, 2009, 08:51:18 PMIt appears sendspace has the same problem, the reply email goes to no-reply@sendspace.com not the real sender (me).

just let it come to yourself first then forward the link to client editing email as needed and then they reply to you.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on November 13, 2009, 08:53:05 PM

That's why DCS said, "I e-mail the link to my clients via MY e-mail, so there is NO confusion."

this. 

hi gang!  :ninja:

Exploded

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on November 13, 2009, 08:54:15 PM

just let it come to yourself first then forward the link to client editing email as needed and then they reply to you.

I agree this will stop confusion but we have 5 prepress operators that will all be doing this. I am unsure if thats the best way to go.

frailer

I'm thinking you could set up an acrobatdotcom account, using  a "shared" webmail, accessible to all 5 ops.  Bingo.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Exploded on November 13, 2009, 09:03:48 PM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on November 13, 2009, 08:54:15 PM

I agree this will stop confusion but we have 5 prepress operators that will all be doing this. I am unsure if thats the best way to go.

can you create a "prepress" group address to use for all jobs that sends/forwards to all 5 users?

Exploded

I sort of need something a bit faster. This is why yousendit is good, you can just drag and drop the files you need to send onto the yousendit icon and then fire off the email. The whole process takes a few seconds, no waiting for files to upload or emails to arrive that you need to forward on.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Exploded on November 13, 2009, 09:57:27 PMI sort of need something a bit faster. This is why yousendit is good, you can just drag and drop the files you need to send onto the yousendit icon and then fire off the email. The whole process takes a few seconds, no waiting for files to upload or emails to arrive that you need to forward on.

i see.

if you signup with sendspace they have a desktop function.  probably be the same problems of automatic email being to a noreply@.. 

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/21zy54

mattbeals

If you're looking to soft proof a job then try DMP Flo Media Publisher. Convert the PDF, InDesign or JPEG (Yes, some people do use JPEG's for this) to a flash document, collect approvals or comments, preview separations and even preflight/correct the document. You can even compare the uploaded document with the processed one, not only show the preflight results as highlighted objects but you can even highlight the objects that changed between the original and processed. Send me a sample document and I'll build you a sample page with separations and preflight results.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.