Impose-it

Started by Exploded, May 27, 2010, 05:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exploded

Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Impose-it or an alternative prog.

We have lost our licence and it looks like the company may of gone bust

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quite Imposing may be worth a look. They make very good Plugin software that doesn't cost the earth. Good guys to deal with too.

Quite Imposing
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Exploded

Impose-it is more for planning than prepress. From what I understand Quite Imposing is more for prepress than planning.

Impose-it gives planners a draw that they print out and give to prepress, we then make the imposition from that using something like Quite Imposing

frailer

Gotcha. Most of that function is incorporated into full-on print management packages, I think. Most are big dollars. not aware of anything outside of things like Printstream that do the imposing thing as a stand-alone. Maybe there aren't any others.   :undecided:  Someone may have other ideas...early days.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

You can try this:

INPO2

or this:

METRIX

or this:

UPFRONT

DigiCorn

From what I hear, Metrix is fantastic, and works well in the planning stages as well. But it's pricey. For about 1/30th the cost of Metrix, you can get Quite imposing, which is cheap, and most of the time does what you want. Great support from Quite, and if you call them, they'll send you a free 2-week working demo. I still have issues trying to use it for imposing saddle-stitch booklets with bleed, but we have two versions ago so maybe it got fixed. It's also awesome for adding folios and masking off information. Now that my Preps works again, I use Preps for 99% of my impos, but I still have needs for Quite's other features here and there.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Exploded

Like I said this program was used by the print planners. All it did was produce a draw that prepress would follow to create to make the imposition.  So you would get a job ticket with a draw created from Impose-it. Prepress would then follow this draw and create the imposition in something more advanced like INPO2, METRIX, UPFRONT, PREPS etc etc

frailer

Got a feeling that Impose-It will join that mouldy-oldie bunch of install disks etc, in the filing drawer up the back corner. I doubt there's anything floating around like that that isn't tied to a larger suite. Have you tried Version-Tracker, or similar? ...though it's a commercial app., so maybe not.
Can't see why, for the modest cost, Quite-Impose couldn't do something similar for you...just print out the impo setup once you've imposed it; from Acrobat. Can't imagine it would give you anything less than Impose-It.   :undecided:
Do you need it? Or your mngr./planner? Maybe you could do the impo, from spec'd requirements, then print out for mgr.   :undecided:  Merely trying to guess your setup, though. Impose-It looks to be VERY basic, from your screenshot.

Exploded

I have been in the business for over ten years now and I know Impose-It can make a impo draw for anything you can think of. It is Australian based software so maybe that is why you Americans have not heard of it. I have tried everything to find it with no luck. I admit that Quite-Impose could probably do the trick but impose-it was a really cool non acrobat prog that could make a draw of anything. We have a really basic print  mis so impose-it  draws would be a big bonus if we could get it working again.

Joe

Quote from: Exploded on May 29, 2010, 05:54:53 AMLike I said this program was used by the print planners. All it did was produce a draw that prepress would follow to create to make the imposition.  So you would get a job ticket with a draw created from Impose-it. Prepress would then follow this draw and create the imposition in something more advanced like INPO2, METRIX, UPFRONT, PREPS etc etc

INPO2, METRIX, and UPFRONT most certainly does having imposition planning built into it so I can't exactly figure out what you are looking for. They do exactly what you are asking for. I believe you are looking for a cheap (FREE) solution and I'm just not sure you are going to find something like that. In my searching I did find this thread at the Adobe forums that appears someone is trying to create their own software for imposition planning. You can see if something like this might help in your search.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2552449

Exploded

The problem is we have bought the prog, I just can't find the disk.  :angry:

frailer

Quote from: Exploded on May 29, 2010, 08:42:38 AMThe problem is we have bought the prog, I just can't find the disk.  :angry:
Dontcha hate that! I admit rather sheepishly that in the middle of some Retrospect troubles last week, I found the flattened box, but not the disk.   :embarrassed:  One job this week is to empty the whole drawer until I find it. Don't need it now, but...
As one mother-of-toddler friend once said to little boy... "Have you looked over, under, and behind!"   :laugh:  Unless someone has nicked it, it's there.   :azn:

And finally, after slogging away on this forum for some time, I'm an honorary American.    :grin:  There is another Aussie here, gtrev, who has been around the traps. Am assuming he's sighted this thread, but may be worth PM'ing him.

Otherwise, it's 'Find-It'    :sad: