Postscript then distill = pdf 1.3??

Started by Exploded, March 09, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exploded

Hello All,

I am running into some problems with my rip failing on a few pdfs. What seems to get them through is if I take the original pdf open in acrobat then save as a postscript then run through distiller to create a cleaner pdf.

As I understand it postscript does not support spot colours and transparency? So doing this will will create the equivalent of a pdf 1.3 which may lead to transparency and spot colour problems?

Please tell me I am wrong...

DigitalCrapShoveler

You are not wrong, however, 1.3 DOES indeed support spot colors. If they are not set-up correctly, since you are using 1.3, they will be almost impossible to fix depending on the job.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Exploded

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 09, 2011, 05:25:49 PMYou are not wrong, however, 1.3 DOES indeed support spot colors. If they are not set-up correctly, since you are using 1.3, they will be almost impossible to fix depending on the job.

Yes 1.3 does support spot colours

No 1.3 does not support spot colours with transparency (that started in 1.4)

Exploded

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Exploded on March 09, 2011, 05:52:11 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 09, 2011, 05:25:49 PMYou are not wrong, however, 1.3 DOES indeed support spot colors. If they are not set-up correctly, since you are using 1.3, they will be almost impossible to fix depending on the job.

Yes 1.3 does support spot colours

No 1.3 does not support spot colours with transparency (that started in 1.4)

No transparency at all. 1.3 flattens the pdf making spot color or even 4 color editing a VERY difficult ordeal.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Yeah, in a digital printing workflow transparency is going to be an issue until the RIPs can handle native transparency. If you are in control of the design process the best thing to do would be to not use transparency. For example, instead of creating soft drop shadows in Indy, Illy, or Quark...make them in Photoshop as raster images. Use clipping paths instead of making transparent backgrounds. If you have no control over the design process you'll just need to deal with the problems as they arise.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Instead of dotPSing and Distilling, why not try an Optimise for HiRes. For (admittedly rare) rendering issues, I've found such a preset usually works. I doubt it's as interventionist as going the old route.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Don't forget Adobe's friendly default of the JPG compression with the presets.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on March 09, 2011, 11:38:43 PMDon't forget Adobe's friendly default of the JPG compression with the presets.

Yeah, had a client put onto me this week to ask about how to supply PDFs. Forgot to mention the Compression > ZIP changes.   :rolleyes:   (  :old: is why )
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.