PitStop Server Action List Set Up Help!

Started by Andrew F, August 08, 2023, 06:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew F

Hello!

I have been working on this action list for a hot minute now and can't figure it out. I can get some of the pages to look how I want it but I will get some that won't look right and when I try to fix it I seem to break the other half of the goof pages in the process. We already have actions in place but on another software so I was trying to transfer those actions into pitstop so I can integrate it with Switch. My goal is: This is what I need the action to do:

1) Convert registration color to CMYK black 

2) Embed Missing Fonts

3) Rotate if landscape (Fixes landscape pages to be portrait orientation. This action I'm snuggling with because when I rotate pages It doesn't touch the image/content and it will end up off of the page I think)

4) Pages larger than 8.5x11 need to be scaled down to fit in 8.5x11. (Portrait) 

5) Scale all page content to 96% (These books are being three holes drilled so we need to scale to content down to give us more space for drilling)

6) Change the trim box back to 8.5x11, Media box 8.75x11.25 without resizing the content. All pages need to these page boxes for the final output be 8.5x11.

7) Set page geometry to shift the odd pages content over .125 inches (For odd pages content is still in the drill area so we want to have the content to shift over an additional 1/8 inch. The page content should bounce back and forth you can see it in the final book I attached)

8) We also need to convert files that state in the file name if the content should be black and white or in color. For black-and-white files, we want to force them to a gray scale. (For this step I plan on having a split path within my Switch workflow that sends the black and white files to another pitstop action that will convert it to grayscale. So, we don't have to make any variables) 

9) Lastly, we want to make sure that all the document pages end in an even number so if the pdf has 79 pages we want to add a blank page at the end to make it 80 pages.

I have all of these actions made individually (not correctly but made!) 

If there is more information needed please let me know I'm just trying to get this action to work asap.

Thank you,
Andrew

Joe

If you have separate actions already made that work try creating a new action and then add the actions you already created into the new action.

How do I combine two Action Lists into one?

PitStop Pro 10 and up
Starting from version 10, PitStop Pro has a new feature to import an Action List into another Action List, in that way you can combine the Action Lists. You can also still record the Action List itself as mentioned above.
  • Open the Action List A
  • After the last action, right click in the action list
  • Choose Action List B
  • OK
  • Both Action Lists are now combined
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

1-7 are pretty straight forward, looks like you got 8, not sure about 9 but I'm sure it can be done.

Have fun!

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

Yeah I think 8 looks pretty good. But if there's a way to force even page numbers with an action list or global change, I don't know how. I'm not familiar with switch, but maybe the option is in there that isn't in Pitstop?

BTW, this is still asking me to verify to post replies, and in the "What is the name of software for editing a PDF?" box I keep wanting to put Illustrator. Cuz I'm a smart ass, and know some of you are as well. Must...not...do....it....
It only takes one "aw shit" to wipe out a whole bunch of "atta boys".

DCurry

I don't currently have access to Pitstop to check, but for #9 the answer may lie somewhere in the Pitstop Preflight tab. I think you can have it check for a particular page count, which is not what you want, but it may also be able to check for an odd page count and add blank to end to make it even. Some if not most of your other things might be able to be handled in preflight, too. You can add actions into the preflight.

Since you already have the individual actions built, another method you could try for combining them is to build a QuickRun instead of an action. A QuickRun is a series of actions or global changes played in sequence.

Just noticed #7 - I'm not sure Page Geometry is what you want to move the content (although if it works, that's great.) I would use Move Page Content instead because the geometry messes with the page boxes.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

ah! you can select odd pages then deselect and add a blank?
never mind that won't work

pabney

You can use the add pages step to ensure even pages.

Tracy