Epson 7900 - Out of register?

Started by ninjaPB_43, March 14, 2018, 03:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

Haha, ok I know it's not really "out of register" but that's damn sure what it looks like. It looks like the light light black is out of register about maybe 3-4 "dots" (1/64").. It makes the whole proof look overall a little fuzzy, and fine black type just a hair thicker than it should be. You can't see it until you look through a loupe or compare it to our proofs from the corporate office. I've run the Auto Head Alignment, (Uni, and Bi), I've cleaned the nozzles (numerous times, normal cleaning, power cleaning, & the secret SS cleaning in maintenance mode), I tried printing it both Unidirectional and bi-directional, I've confirmed all settings are correct regarding paper type, thickness, and tension, etc....

What am I missing? Why is this damn proofer out of register? 

FYI - this is a proofer over at our photo studio, my proofer here at corporate prints the exact same file perfectly - so it's definitely not the file.

Also - the print head was replaced on the proofer about 4-5 years ago. 

Any ideas?

:ninja:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Well people do want it to match the press sooooo....mission accomplished?

But seriously...no, no idea at all.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

is the paper flush with the surface, not floating?
I'm thinking that the paper is too curly so it's not laying flat to the print surface maybe?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: david on March 14, 2018, 03:59:43 PMis the paper flush with the surface, not floating?
I'm thinking that the paper is too curly so it's not laying flat to the print surface maybe?

Hmmm, good thought, but it's apparently been going on since at least last summer (I found an old proof today..) so many new rolls loaded..
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

delooch

Does it look good on your screen?

seriously.. Its a 4-5 year old printhead?

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: delooch on March 14, 2018, 04:44:56 PMDoes it look good on your screen?

seriously.. Its a 4-5 year old printhead?

Yes and yes.

Not only did I zoom in as far as it would go - but our other proofer prints it great.

I'm guessing on print head replacement since I just started in September of last year and no one seems to remember shit around here. The guy before me handled all of it, by having service calls galore to EFI and Epson and a local reseller... I refuse. I'm going to own these things and make shit work right again. :ninja:

delooch

i was joking about the screen comment, but i think a registration issue is going to be with the printheads. does a test-print do it too?

andyfest

Sounds like the print head needs an alignment. We run a 9900, and although I've never done it, there is a procedure for aligning the print head on the 7900/9900 Quick Reference Guide I have. See the attached screenshot.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: andyfest on March 15, 2018, 09:32:45 AMSounds like the print head needs an alignment. We run a 9900, and although I've never done it, there is a procedure for aligning the print head on the 7900/9900 Quick Reference Guide I have. See the attached screenshot.

Already ran that - issue still present...

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on March 14, 2018, 03:11:22 PM I've run the Auto Head Alignment, (Uni, and Bi), I've cleaned the nozzles (numerous times, normal cleaning, power cleaning, & the secret SS cleaning in maintenance mode), I tried printing it both Unidirectional and bi-directional, I've confirmed all settings are correct regarding paper type, thickness, and tension, etc....

What am I missing? Why is this damn proofer out of register? 

FYI - this is a proofer over at our photo studio, my proofer here at corporate prints the exact same file perfectly - so it's definitely not the file.

Also - the print head was replaced on the proofer about 4-5 years ago. 

Any ideas?

:ninja:

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: delooch on March 15, 2018, 09:19:43 AMi was joking about the screen comment, but i think a registration issue is going to be with the printheads. does a test-print do it too?

Test-print from what? I've printed out the nozzle check, and head alignment sheets but those don't really have areas that would show me if it was doing it or not. Is there another "test-print" somewhere in one of the menus?

delooch

i dont know about the epson- i was referring to the head alignment sheets. Odd that it passes that check but wont align on regular prints.  could it be the carraige belt is worn? i dont think that would effect the alignment though.

DigiCorn

There is no "test print," that I am aware of for the Epson. When I had to maintain one of these (I've had the 4000, 4800, 7880 and 10600) I would come in each morning and do a "nozzle check," and if it required further cleaning, I would do so at that time. I would also do extra cleaning after running uncoated stock. I did keep an old Agfa press check sheets to check once in a while.... something like this:

It has CMYK images, RGB images, K only images and then grayscale images created with CMYK and RGB for reference.

Once a week or so, I would run the test strips from EFI and scan them in with the spectrophotometer.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

I used to have to do daily nozzle checks but since I replaced the bearing that blew up it's been pretty good. I go weeks without running it and it doesn't clog.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 15, 2018, 10:22:22 AMThere is no "test print," that I am aware of for the Epson. When I had to maintain one of these (I've had the 4000, 4800, 7880 and 10600) I would come in each morning and do a "nozzle check," and if it required further cleaning, I would do so at that time. I would also do extra cleaning after running uncoated stock. I did keep an old Agfa press check sheets to check once in a while.... something like this:

We use a similar file to run weekly tests...  this image also prints with the same issue.

The issue was only JUST discovered when one of the photo studios guys was over here at corporate looking at some proofs and said why are yours sharper than ours... we started looking closer (through loupe) and discovered. You really cannot tell otherwise.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: delooch on March 15, 2018, 09:52:58 AMcould it be the carraige belt is worn?

In my mind if the carriage belt began malfunctioning the print would error out altogether - maybe I'm wrong on that though.