Upgrade to imac and CS5 Help??

Started by prepressDog, June 29, 2011, 02:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prepressDog

We got 2 older G5 towers, getting older...

Boss wants / thinking upgrading.
Told him I felt the imacs were the best bang for the buck to replace 2 stations.
Running CS3

Can anyone help...b4 I go Goggling around (funny google comes up in spell check, like a verb)
See new 22" imacs 1300 to 1500 depending guess. Thinking 4gb Ram would do??
Then since we at CS3 they want $950, per machine, might as well update every time, as they charge you based on how old verz your running. WTF.
Seems as if you pay the same at the end... and miss out on CS4, then being able to save back to CS4 to use CS3... Sneaky Bastards :dev2:

So, think we looking @ $3Gs for 2 imacs & bout $1900 upgrades for 2 machines to CS5... So lets say $5,000 to do this??
Seems about Right...

Any better deals anyone know of?? Thought I'd check here first... b4 wasting lots time. Someone may have just delt with same....
Thanks!!

Joe

New iMacs running OS X Lion (soon...I have read July). Beware! Any PPC apps you still have won't run on Lion. Like Preps 5. If you get them soon enough they will have Snow Leopard but after Lion is released you won't be able to get it with Snow Leopard.

4GB of ram is fine for running CS3. For CS 5.5 with the latest OS...4 GB is going to be skimping a little. I'd recommend 8 GB of RAM. Yes, 4 will work but it's a little light.

Your cost estimates seem about right and getting 8 gb of ram as opposed to 4 gb won't raise the cost by a whole lot.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

When we had to make the Intel jump, I wanted to get 2 Mac Minis, soup 'em up with more RAM and Solid State Drives from OWC. Then get some nice displays in the $1000 range.
Instead, certain people freaked out that this would not do the job, and that we should get "what the dezingers at head office are getting"
Ended up with 27" iMacs, i7 processors, some extra RAM. OK, sure do the job, but for the money, my 'system' woulda been better. (I'll spare you the boring reasons why). But we made sure that we got Extended Warranty. High risk without it, with iMacs, IMO.
Am not a fan of computer-in-displays. Hard to get at (impossible... almost). Get hot. Apple don't like end-users fooling around in there. Am sure they see them as throwaway home consumer items.

Wisdom here is that Refurbs, whatever you get, are the go. Significant savings, and probably better pre-checked than new ones. Well, they're new, just had some problem rectified. Just do a daily search on refurb area before you go home each day, Sometimes they get snapped up.
Looking at those smaller iMacs on the Aussie site... if you wanted to get more than the base 4GB RAM, you'd be going past your figure, you can spec it up, pre-order. Joe or someone may know how easy it is to add RAM to the latest iMacs, Not sure. The new Minis are a breeze on that score, which means you can slot in OWC RAM at about half Apple's price.

But I guess if they're looking at the no-add-ons iMacs, then your figure's right. If 4GB of RAM is OK for your purposes.

Dammit, Joe, ya snuk in on the inside rail there...   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on June 29, 2011, 03:03:08 AMWhen we had to make the Intel jump, I wanted to get 2 Mac Minis, soup 'em up with more RAM and Solid State Drives from OWC. Then get some nice displays in the $1000 range.
Instead, certain people freaked out that this would not do the job, and that we should get "what the dezingers at head office are getting"
Ended up with 27" iMacs, i7 processors, some extra RAM. OK, sure do the job, but for the money, my 'system' woulda been better. (I'll spare you the boring reasons why). But we made sure that we got Extended Warranty. High risk without it, with iMacs, IMO.
Am not a fan of computer-in-displays. Hard to get at (impossible... almost). Get hot. Apple don't like end-users fooling around in there. Am sure they see them as throwaway home consumer items.

Wisdom here is that Refurbs, whatever you get, are the go. Significant savings, and probably better pre-checked than new ones. Well, they're new, just had some problem rectified. Just do a daily search on refurb area before you go home each day, Sometimes they get snapped up.
Looking at those smaller iMacs on the Aussie site... if you wanted to get more than the base 4GB RAM, you'd be going past your figure, you can spec it up, pre-order. Joe or someone may know how easy it is to add RAM to the latest iMacs, Not sure. The new Minis are a breeze on that score, which means you can slot in OWC RAM at about half Apple's price.

But I guess if they're looking at the no-add-ons iMacs, then your figure's right. If 4GB of RAM is OK for your purposes.

Dammit, Joe, ya snuk in on the inside rail there...   :laugh:

Easy. 5 minute job.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

FYI only... a shedload of refurbs on Apple's Aussie site.

Their refurb link is hidden way down here... hotlinks under 'Special Deals'

And for the life of me, I can't see how they can justify Mini prices. Well, only that they would cut into more lucrative lines if they lowered them.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

prepressDog

Thanks for the quick replies... lots good info.  :goodpost:

Ear

Good point, Frailer. I always buy refurbs.... haven't had any problems with them, save a ton of cash. My current workstation is an intel iMac, 1TB HD, and I had them beef it up to 8gb ram. It's plenty of machine. Fast and reliable. Runs the RIP clients with ease too.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Skryber

I'm running CS5 on iMac with Intel Core i7 and 16GB memory and it is MARVELOUS! And go with the 27". I used to run 2 monitors and with this bad boy, there's no reason to. Since you are doing this big upgrade, go big!
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Skryber

This is my own mac that I brought to work at the new shop. They have a piece of garbage PC that they run CS3 on. It crashes constantly during rips. I can only have one app running at all times. I literally can't handle it. I wouldn't be working here if I didn't bring in my own mac.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Ear

Quote from: Skryber on June 29, 2011, 09:34:12 AMI'm running CS5 on iMac with Intel Core i7 and 16GB memory and it is MARVELOUS! And go with the 27". I used to run 2 monitors and with this bad boy, there's no reason to. Since you are doing this big upgrade, go big!

:grin: I'm jealous. Now I want a new one and mine is only 1.5 years old.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

t-pat

Quote from: Skryber on June 29, 2011, 09:37:17 AMThis is my own mac that I brought to work at the new shop. They have a piece of garbage PC that they run CS3 on. It crashes constantly during rips. I can only have one app running at all times. I literally can't handle it. I wouldn't be working here if I didn't bring in my own mac.

that's a terrible trend to start, bringing your own stuff. I understand though. Maybe I can see if my boss wants to sell one of the many G5 macs we have idling around here at a price your boss would be silly to pass up. We've got a fleet of new Pros and the G5s are not being used afaik.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Skryber

Quote from: Earendil on June 29, 2011, 09:43:31 AM
Quote from: Skryber on June 29, 2011, 09:34:12 AMI'm running CS5 on iMac with Intel Core i7 and 16GB memory and it is MARVELOUS! And go with the 27". I used to run 2 monitors and with this bad boy, there's no reason to. Since you are doing this big upgrade, go big!

:grin: I'm jealous. Now I want a new one and mine is only 1.5 years old.

I got mine in Nov-Dec. After the shop burned down we all got a new mac. Bossman paid me a third of what he owes me a few days ago and after he hands over the rest, I'll give him the dough for this machine and call it done. :)

It is a bad trend but no one uses it but me and I take it home all the time.

pspdfppdfxhd

I've had mine for almost a year: 27 inch i7 with 8GB of ram and have had really no problems. Way better than the old G5 and once you get used to the glossy monitor.....thats fine too. My computer is in a darkened part of the room so the glare is not a problem.

Skryber

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on June 29, 2011, 10:27:58 AMI've had mine for almost a year: 27 inch i7 with 8GB of ram and have had really no problems. Way better than the old G5 and once you get used to the glossy monitor.....thats fine too. My computer is in a darkened part of the room so the glare is not a problem.

I prefer the glossy monitor.

gnubler

Quote from: Skryber on June 29, 2011, 09:37:17 AMThis is my own mac that I brought to work at the new shop.

I worked at a shop in 2005 and ended up running prepress from my iBook. It would be considered useless by today's standards but at the time it was better than the Mac they had there.  :laugh: I didn't really mind bringing it in.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david