News:

Main Menu

100% K to 4c K

Started by Farabomb, January 28, 2016, 10:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

This is a first for me. I was supplied files from someone that thinks they know what they are doing... circa 1999. I received a CD that I had to find a computer with a working drive to get the files off. There were PDFs and EPSs, I used the PDF.

It has mostly 100% k type with some 4c grey drop shadows, remember 1999. I run it through EVO and it turns all the 100% k to 4c for some unknown reason. I know I have it set to convert 4c K to 100% k but I've never seen this.

It's not a big deal as since it's one big picture complete with pixelated fonts nothing is trapping so I'll just use the original file. I can't select anything in pitstop as it's one element.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

ICC profile applied to the text?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Quote from: Farabomb on January 28, 2016, 10:09:54 AMThis is a first for me. I was supplied files from someone that thinks they know what they are doing... circa 1999. I received a CD that I had to find a computer with a working drive to get the files off. There were PDFs and EPSs, I used the PDF.

It has mostly 100% k type with some 4c grey drop shadows, remember 1999. I run it through EVO and it turns all the 100% k to 4c for some unknown reason. I know I have it set to convert 4c K to 100% k but I've never seen this.

It's not a big deal as since it's one big picture complete with pixelated fonts nothing is trapping so I'll just use the original file. I can't select anything in pitstop as it's one element.

sounds like you have a pdf made from photoshop. If you go into wireframe, do you see any fonts or is it just one big X (as in an image)?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

One big 'ol X. I have a feeling it was done in PS and then exported as an EPS and a PDF.

The image does have an ICC, SWOP v2. 

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

that'll do it right there.

See if you can remove the profile, then RIP it again to see if that fixes it.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Use PitStop to certify it and it should tell you everything, down to which program created it. Just have to generate a report.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

mattbeals

Quote from: Ear on January 28, 2016, 11:41:55 AMUse PitStop to certify it and it should tell you everything, down to which program created it. Just have to generate a report.

Document properties will tell you much of this.

You can always convert to LAB or RGB and convert back to CMYK using perceptual in a pinch. It relies on your destination profile's black plate settings. But it works well most of the time.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Farabomb

David is the winner. Strip out the ICC profile and prinergy will leave the text alone.

What I don't understand is that I have it set to strip out any ICC profiles but maybe it converts to the intent of the profile, then strips it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

I believe it ignores it more than "strips it out", but it is still there doing damage.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Quote from: mattbeals on January 28, 2016, 02:37:31 PM
Quote from: Ear on January 28, 2016, 11:41:55 AMUse PitStop to certify it and it should tell you everything, down to which program created it. Just have to generate a report.

Document properties will tell you much of this.
This is true, but sending a Certified Enfocus Preflight Report to a snotty designer usually shuts them up quicker. :angel:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black