Indesign custom registration marks

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, January 06, 2021, 07:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Cool indeed. And it works in the latest version of InDesign.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes thanks to Matt Beals, circa 2007.

And yup, I output a form with the default marks and straight up one of our congenial pressmen came running to me complaining they built up too much ink while running. I told him i had been struggling with the main production Mac, new hard drive, installing the operating system twice, running it back and forth to the repair guy, trying to work on the backup Mac which did not have the other marks installed. This guy thinks he is the only one with problems in the world. :drunk3:

pspdfppdfxhd

Here I am again wondering where to put the .mrk files in Indesign 2024. I found the Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/PrintSpt folder but it's not working in Indesign on my new Mac running Ventura.

Anyone else have any success adding custom marks? (the ones we used look like the simple ones used in QuarkXpress)

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on January 02, 2024, 10:55:36 AM(the ones we used look like the simple ones used in QuarkXpress)
Just go back to using Quark and you won't need any custom marks. They are built into Quark. :P

pspdfppdfxhd

I was hesitant to explain that we wanted marks like Quark because of the risk of inviting a joke. Lo and behold..... i should have just tried to describe what they looked like.  

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on January 02, 2024, 03:13:36 PMI was hesitant to explain that we wanted marks like Quark because of the risk of inviting a joke. Lo and behold..... i should have just tried to describe what they looked like. 
Sorry. It is my year to be a smart ass. Welcome to 2024!  :rotf:

DigiCorn

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on January 02, 2024, 03:13:36 PMI was hesitant to explain that we wanted marks like Quark because of the risk of inviting a joke. Lo and behold..... i should have just tried to describe what they looked like. 
I made marks like that to use in Preps. When I was at J&M, the old codgers that ran the place wanted marks that bled off the sheet left, right and top center (not gripper) so that when they looked at a stack, they could see the marks running up and down the three sides. At Sig-1 I used the default Preps side guide mark, which did the same thing.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway