Switching to new system... looking for knowledge !!

Started by geminianspark, April 23, 2010, 01:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geminianspark

Our company recently got bought out by a much bigger company.  We currently run 6 stations of Esko Packedge standalone for art, step/repeat in plato/ RIP is apogee.... no color managemnet.  We will be moving to Illustrator with deskpack plug-ins using backstage edit and sending through a nexus rip and incorporating a color management system which will involve monitors, scanner, and an epson 7900...   AND  we are moving to digital plates at this point also.  So, OBVIOUSLY, lots and lots to learn. 

There will be technicians and trainers coming in as the equipment is installed so at least there will be some direction, but i've been asked to play a key role in the color management side of things so i have begun researching what that involves.  I have also been asked to be inolved in the network admin side of things which will be the first hands on training i've had in that respect (have a degree so have some basic book knowledge, but we all know how far that takes you in the real world). 

SO, what i'm asking for is information... anything and everything you feel like typing on your experiences with this new equipment, tips and tidbits on problems you've had, reference websites/pdfs/books/databases... anything you've got.   I've got a LOT to learn and not a whole lot of time to learn it as most other artists here will be focusing on the move from packedge to illustrator, i will have that, plus the colormanagement, plus as much networking as i can grasp so anything i can get my hands on now, before the party gets underway will help me get some of the basics and the terminology down so i can focus on the hands on when it gets here. 

THANK  YOU in advance for any help.
Julie

frailer

You're realistic about what you're in for, at least. More than halfway there, in a sense. Am guessing the quality of your training will be important...at what level they intend to start you...and how far/ competently they'll take you. Trainers are like customers, a full range of quality and competence.
Having said that, there's a lot of expertise here, so just fire stuff as it comes up. There'll be people tramping over each other to give you a good answer.   :laugh:
Welcome to the forum, and wish you well in the transition.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

hotmetal

Quote from: frailer on April 23, 2010, 03:53:12 PMHaving said that, there's a lot of expertise here, so just fire stuff as it comes up. There'll be people tramping over each other to give you a good answer.   :laugh:
Welcome to the forum, and wish you well in the transition.

Yeah, it was getting a little quiet around here. Quite a few AWS users lurking about, too. I've been using Nexus rips since it was called PCC. Used to love those training trips to the Philadelphia suburbs!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Joe

Welcome to the forum geminianspark. I'm sure everyone will help with any info they can. I used to be a Nexus user but we switched to Prinergy a little less than a year ago but I still remember some stuff. Fire away with any questions and I'm sure someone will come up with a good answer.

As far as networking my only advice is go with Cat6 cable and all gigabit networking. Anything less at this stage is running backwards.

Feel free to ask more specific questions though as that will garner more direct answers than an overall query.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe on April 23, 2010, 04:21:06 PMAs far as networking my only advice is go with Cat6 cable and all gigabit networking.

Cool! Six cats running through that cable all at once! Love this 21st Century stuff!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

geminianspark

Well, right now, i've grasped the concept of finding the piece of equipment with the lowest useable gamut... usually the proofer/printer and "calibrating" (not sure if that's the right term or not... but essentially make profiles so that what i scan will be represented true on my monitor and print true to a printer.  The concept sounds basic.  How to go about accomplishing this is the part that's still hazy. 

So to start, i asked questions about what color management software we are going to be using.  The answers weren't so easy to come by though.  First, i was given the eye1 colorimeter software by x-rite, which i've discovered is used to calibrate the monitor.  Then i found the profile maker v5 by x-rite which i'm assuming is used  to make the profiles for setting color profiles.  Then i was given a manual for the EPSON 7900 which online had the option for its own color management software but from the paperwork i was given, couldn't tell if our unit has this option or not.  THEN, while reading that manual, i found the information of installing the drivers on both the mac and pc....  which lead me to ask questions about what RIP we will be running this software on.  Our IT guy didn't have much information for me other than it will be a NEXUS rip.  From there, i started reading up on the esko site about the NEXUS rip.  This part confuses me.  For one: is the mac the server and the PC the client or the other way around? and two: it had three possible parts... input, processor and rip.... don't know if we;'ll be getting all of them or just the rip part... but i'm still stuck on trying to figure out WHICH software we will use to create profiles with .  So this is where i am...  any suggested reading?  thanks guys...

Joe

I wouldn't recommend driving the Epson with Nexus. It can but you'll get better performance/results using something like GMG or EFI ColorProof.

Nexus runs on a Windows PC. It used to be able to run on either Windows or Mac but I think later versions is PC only for the server. The client, Nexus Manager, runs on Mac only. You don't really touch the server once it's setup, configured, and running. Everything is done from the clients on the Mac.

Can't really say much about the Esko products. I've never used them, One of our moderators, David, uses Esko stuff and he'll probably be back around Monday.

I'm sure others can lead you into the right direction with Color Management. Hopefully Matt Beals chimes in here on that subject.

andyfest

The Nexus RIP will run on either a Mac XServe (Intel only) or a PC - v9.5.5 was just released for download. Nexus Manager (client) runs on Mac and is written for PPC or Intel right now. We're using Nexus to output 1 bit tiffs for plates and proofing. Proofing is done via an EFI BestScreen proofing system tied to an Epson 10600. We're also using the XRite photospectrometer to evaluate proofs and write icc profiles. I think you'll like the move to Illy using the Deskpack plug-ins as most techs are more familiar with apps like Illy rather than specific RIP software. Good luck with the RIP change!
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

beck

Julie,

We've been using Nexus since 2005.  Our Epson 9600 is driven by Oris software.  We DO NOT use calibrated monitors.  We had outside techs come in for the press fingerprinting and Epson calibration.  We have 2 workstations.

Nexus is a great system.  We were sent out to Philly once before we got the system set up, then once right after it was set up.  We now go about every other year for "refresher" training.  (Let us know which you like better, Pat's or Geno's). Techs were there for a week setting up the hardware and for training.

For the first year or so, we'd call support a couple of times a month.  I don't think we've called them for well over a year.  We do keep the service agreement for the software upgrades.

Despite all the "magic" Nexus can do, you still need to send in clean, accurate files from Illustrator...we view Nexus as a "Rip & Trap" workflow, not a "fix for crappy files".

Feel free to ask any questions...this is a great place to learn.

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

David

Welcome to the forums Julie!

We have the Esko Suite 7 here (not Nexus, but it's bigger brother, maybe?), we also run an Epson with an Oris front end.
For color management, you will be needing to output a profile patch off your Epson, scan that in, then use that to make a test proof. If it doesn't match, you will then be making iterative changes and re-outputting the profile patch and your test proof several times. There should be some in-house training to help you out, depending on what you'll be using as a RIP.

And, as Beck said, you will probably be spending some time out of town for the training, as well as some quality time in your building with the tech guys as they install and configure the software and hardware.

Once you get it in, shoot us some questions and we'll do what we can to help out!

cheers!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

geminianspark

Does anyone know if either the GMG,  EFI, or Oris will allow us to print dot-for-dot proofs to the epson? 

and thanks for all the replies and support, i makes a huge difference for me!!!!!

Joe

Quote from: geminianspark on April 26, 2010, 08:50:56 AMDoes anyone know if either the GMG,  EFI, or Oris will allow us to print dot-for-dot proofs to the epson? 

and thanks for all the replies and support, i makes a huge difference for me!!!!!

EFI, not sure about the other two, has a one-bit tiff option that will allow you to make proofs from the exact same files that make your plates. It is NOT though a dot for dot proof as EFI uses it's own screening during proofing. I can't say with 100% certainty but I think the Kodak Approval is the only true dot for dot proofer.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on April 26, 2010, 08:54:11 AM
Quote from: geminianspark on April 26, 2010, 08:50:56 AMDoes anyone know if either the GMG,  EFI, or Oris will allow us to print dot-for-dot proofs to the epson? 

EFI, not sure about the other two, has a one-bit tiff option that will allow you to make proofs from the exact same files that make your plates. It is NOT though a dot for dot proof as EFI uses it's own screening during proofing. I can't say with 100% certainty but I think the Kodak Approval is the only true dot for dot proofer.

Agreed!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

any Inkjet proofer (like an Epson), has the inkjet heads that "spray" jets of ink (hence the name inkjet).
So, even if you have the 1-bit tiff option, you really don't get a true "dot" proof, but it has things that look dot-ish.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

geminianspark

OKay, after 4 hours on friday and right at 8 hours today of asking the same question to the same people in a thousand different ways... i FINALLY just got the answer i've been looking for... we did get EFI sent in on the purchase order with our EPSON.  But that's as much as i got.  gud grief, it's like pulling teeth around here.  So, EFI is my next step in the research department.   

We are currently downloading software for the nexus server and client and will begin installation tomorrow. 

Again thanks for all the help and opinions.. keep it coming.... all opinions welcome... good or bad.