Volumes Not Staying in Login Items

Started by AaronH, June 05, 2017, 05:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

I'm having a problem since at least I updated to 10.12.5 where I can't get network volumes to stay in my Login Items. Does anyone else have this issue?

I've attached a few images, one of my system specs, one showing what happens and one showing what I want it to do. This happens every time my computer display shows the screen saver. Any drives added to Login Items vanish after the screen saver is displayed which prompts me to enter my password. Any drives (save for the Office one), already attached, usually stay there on my desktop (also see attached - I have them show on my desktop so I know if they are there or not).

Thank you guys!
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

I mount my drives the same way and am not seeing this issue after the Mac OS 10.12.5 update. Not helpful but it is what it is. ;D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

Thanks Joe. I was hoping you or someone else had the issue. Strange thing though, the volumes stayed in my Login Items over night and through today. No idea what is causing it.  :huh:

Joe

No offense but I am pretty glad I am not having that issue. :rotf:

One question though. On all of our macs I did clean installs of Sierra on all of our Macs back at the first of the year. Did you upgrade over a previous version or is it a clean install where it is happening?

Joe

Another thought....how are you adding the drives to the Login Items. The + sign and add them through the file dialog box? Or drag the network drive icon from the desktop and drop it in the Login Items? I do the latter and have no issues with it.

DigiCorn

I've had a few items that randomly don't show up, and I'm on 10.12.5. They mount far more often then they don't, and they usually aren't any trouble to remount. The past two days one volume wasn't there, but today it popped up no problem.

I have had one volume that on occasion wants me to relog in, and then rejects the credentials. If  reboot, it mounts with no issue. Hasn't happened in a while, tho.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on June 06, 2017, 08:21:16 PMAnother thought....how are you adding the drives to the Login Items. The + sign and add them through the file dialog box? Or drag the network drive icon from the desktop and drop it in the Login Items? I do the latter and have no issues with it.

I mount the same way as you do, drag and drop. Its weird. I haven't had the issue on past iterations of OS X.

Quote from: DigiCorn on June 07, 2017, 09:10:52 AMI've had a few items that randomly don't show up, and I'm on 10.12.5. They mount far more often then they don't, and they usually aren't any trouble to remount. The past two days one volume wasn't there, but today it popped up no problem.

I have had one volume that on occasion wants me to relog in, and then rejects the credentials. If  reboot, it mounts with no issue. Hasn't happened in a while, tho.

They used to request login credentials for the drives after originally updating to 10.12 but since I went to 10.12.5 I haven't had to enter them again. Strange thing was, the login credentials are in my Keychain. Very strange behavior.

DigiCorn

Quote from: AaronH on June 07, 2017, 10:41:32 AM
Quote from: Joe on June 06, 2017, 08:21:16 PMAnother thought....how are you adding the drives to the Login Items. The + sign and add them through the file dialog box? Or drag the network drive icon from the desktop and drop it in the Login Items? I do the latter and have no issues with it.

I mount the same way as you do, drag and drop. Its weird. I haven't had the issue on past iterations of OS X.

Quote from: DigiCorn on June 07, 2017, 09:10:52 AMI've had a few items that randomly don't show up, and I'm on 10.12.5. They mount far more often then they don't, and they usually aren't any trouble to remount. The past two days one volume wasn't there, but today it popped up no problem.

They used to request login credentials for the drives after originally updating to 10.12 but since I went to 10.12.5 I haven't had to enter them again. Strange thing was, the login credentials are in my Keychain. Very strange behavior.
Yup
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Maybe there's an intermittent interruption between your Mac & the Servers? Bad CAT cables can cause all kinds of weird behavior, if it's not a horrible mess, you could replace that cable and see if the problem resolves.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.