News:

Main Menu

Font Management II

Started by Tracy, September 11, 2020, 09:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

So I noticed in Library/Fonts there are a lot of fonts from my Adobe Fonts and my Personal Fonts
that I have not put in there, is Library/Fonts grabbing those fonts?
How can I get rid of those? I don't want to just delete if that is bad.
There is a lot of fonts!
This computer has been in someone else control for 6 months but I don't think it was his fault

fyi not back to work yet!

DigiCorn

Yes. Library/Fonts should be running the bare minimum of necessary core fonts. They utilize resources and slow the computer down (a lot!). This is a last resort location for forcing a font to be active when all other options have failed (and then remove them when finished), and even then it's a horrible idea.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Unfortunately software often installs fonts in this location. Be careful what you remove though. If you remove a system required font the computer will not able to be booted. The only work around for that I found when I did it once was to boot another computer hooked up to that computer via a firewire cable and boot into firewire mode so it would mount the hard drive of the computer with the missing font so I could copy the missing font back to it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Joe you so funny!
Like I'm going to reboot anything off of something else  :lmao:

Ok I know a lot of the fonts I can delete I will not delete any questionable

Just_A_Mac_Guy

http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html

Kurt Lang has kept up to date on Fonts so we don't have to.
His white paper has been my bible for decades.

Tracy

Wow! Thanks Mac Guy, downloaded as pdf gonna save that!

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on September 11, 2020, 02:16:46 PMOk I know a lot of the fonts I can delete I will not delete any questionable

Quote from: Tracy on September 11, 2020, 07:29:07 PM
Wow! Thanks Mac Guy, downloaded as pdf gonna save that!

Better to use that list than to just guess because guessing will lead you back hear asking "how to boot into firewire mode so it would mount the hard drive of the computer with the missing font so you could copy the missing font back to it". Been there. Done that.  :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

:laugh: Joe went preemptive on me!!

DigiCorn

To be honest, even I, on occasion, have had to resort to putting fonts in that dreaded folder... but I put them in a folder that says, "delete me," before, so I know what's okay to delete afterwards. Sometimes, fonts in a folder cannot properly be seen, so than I mark them red or something before I add them. Maybe color the fonts that need to remain green, so if anyone adds anything new afterwards, you have a reference point.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway