Replaced toner cartridge in Epson Stylus Pro 9880 - still says it's out of ink!

Started by JCPenfold, February 04, 2013, 12:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCPenfold

I used this thing once, and it was fine. Next time I went to use it, it says replace cyan toner cartridge. OK fine, that one job was heavy blue coverage and I think it said the toner was low to begin with. New toner comes today, pop it in, still telling me to replace cyan toner cartridge - WTH?

:banghead:

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

I've gotten cartridges with bad chips before. After being burned once, I made sure I always had at least 2 of every ink on hand.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

David

yepper, me too.
Always keep more than one on hand.
You can try taking it out and re-seating it.
Have you tried restarting the printer?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

any reputable supplier will gladly exchange the bad one too. Just let them know.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

JCPenfold

Thanks, I called our supplier, waiting for a call back. Of course they only deliver Monday & Wednesday, and my boss has been on me to print something out since last week  :whip:

Joe

Quote from: JCPenfold on February 04, 2013, 12:40:27 PMThanks, I called our supplier, waiting for a call back. Of course they only deliver Monday & Wednesday, and my boss has been on me to print something out since last week  :whip:

Which is why you need to always have more than one on hand. :wink:

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

JCPenfold

Quote from: Joe on February 04, 2013, 01:09:41 PM
Quote from: JCPenfold on February 04, 2013, 12:40:27 PMThanks, I called our supplier, waiting for a call back. Of course they only deliver Monday & Wednesday, and my boss has been on me to print something out since last week  :whip:

Which is why you need to always have more than one on hand. :wink:

We do have a couple spares on the shelf, but they technically "expired" last july, which is why they won't let me buy any more spares, we hardly use it, except when the boss needs something NOW

Joe

Well I guess if the boss won't let you order more spares he should be very understanding when he has to wait because you don't have any more spares. :laugh:

Skryber

I've had problems with the maintenance assembly (not on the same machine) where it wasn't reading the ink correctly. It would say the ink was near end but it was half full. Swapping out that part fixed it.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

JCPenfold

Quote from: Joe on February 04, 2013, 01:22:16 PMWell I guess if the boss won't let you order more spares he should be very understanding when he has to wait because you don't have any more spares. :laugh:

:lmao:  :tantrum2:

frailer

Happened to me recently on our 7900. Take the cartridge out, and very gently wipe the chip interface with a soft rag, maybe with a dropor 2 of glasses/spectacles/monitor cleaner-type-stuff. Cross fingers. Re-insert. My bet's a non-read on the chip.
Have you re-booted, as well?

And ignore the dates on the cartridges. Largely BS/ignorable, from what I can gather.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

I agree about the chip. I have had success with a gentle wipe on the chip. My HP 5500 is a pain about the chips on the printheads. Only had it happen once on the Epson.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

JCPenfold

I tried cleaning the chip, and it seems to have worked!! Thank you all!!