wide format proofers

Started by DigiCorn, July 02, 2013, 10:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foozball

Quote from: gnubler on July 10, 2013, 08:03:31 PMThere may be the rare jackpot find, but for the most part old equipment is just shit.
I hit the Craigslist "jackpot" a few times ... Most notably the Epson 5000, which came with $200 worth of paper,, ... Cost me $50.
I'd be interested in any wide format proofer, but it's entirely for personal use, so if anyone wants it for work, let them have it. :-)

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on July 10, 2013, 08:00:50 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on July 10, 2013, 08:54:30 AMI'm gonna run it by the boss. He always gets free shit... and then puts it in the center of the room, where it sits for months until he tells me to put it on ebay or craig's list.

I don't think I ever stated it was free. It might be eventually once my boss realizes dinosaur equipment is pretty much worthless, but I presume some sort of cash sale is desired. My prediction is all this stuff will end up at the dump someday.

We'll probably have better luck using a broker to sell old crap to Mexico or India. That's where a beloved Docucolor 250 ended up a couple years ago.

Yes, do that. Absolutely.

Except, I did that once with my old Crosfield image setter, and wound up having to go down to Guatemala City to try to make it work after it had a nice bumpy hot trip down in a shitty truck. It barely worked when it left, it really was dead as shit when it got there. I got a free trip out of the deal though.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Skry, join the conversation: What wide format do you use?

Did the Mimaki demo yesterday and was seriously underwhelmed. Not impressed at all, especially when it came to print speed.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 09, 2013, 11:08:02 AMSkry, join the conversation: What wide format do you use?

Did the Mimaki demo yesterday and was seriously underwhelmed. Not impressed at all, especially when it came to print speed.
Skry? Hello?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Skryber

Sorry, sorry. "Proofers" threw me off. I didn't even go to this thread. I'm training a new guy today so I haven't had a chance to get on here. We used an Epson Stylus Pro 9880 for color proofs at the old shop with Rampage Shooter. Before that was a Fuji Film Luxel Final Proofer 5600 with Laminator: Color Art 680tIII also Rampage Shooter. That one we sold it to G-Town's peeps in Meheeco. The Epson blew up in an explosion.

For just wide format printing, not proofs, we use/used a Mutoh ValueJet 1604 with Onyx 7. As you know, there are transparency issues which the new versions are supposed to eliminate but I haven't used it yet. I've gotten used to it. It's transparency within PDFs it doesn't like. EPS are okay. Although, if you are using CS5 or later, Onyx 7 doesn't like EPS strokes. So if you have both out of CS5, you have to flatten it. :cry:

Does this help?

I'll go though this later. Busy.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff