Coated vs. Uncoated curves

Started by DCurry, June 29, 2011, 12:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I'm still waging the battle. It's not looking good for my side though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 10:22:49 AMYa... I fought tooth and nail for over 3 years to get the approval for this operation. It finally came down to the big picky ones and our color not cutting it. Have a couple big jobs bounce because of color and minds start to change. I talked them into a new Epson 9900 with SpectroProofer attachment and an EFI XF, separate of my main RIP, just for color... and the fingerprinting and proofer calibration guru to come here for a week and dial everything in. Now, they are VERY happy they invested in the fingerprinting. Speedmaster and both webs are dialed in. Everything is controlled by the numbers... until it hits bindery.  :laugh:

How often do you check the press to make sure everything is still where you want it and that the press hasn't started to drift? Not exactly digital machines ya know?

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on June 30, 2011, 10:15:17 AMAbsolutely 100% the correct way to do it. And we don't here. :death:

Yeah. What's a curve?  :laugh: We just print the crap and out it goes.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Indeed.  :rolleyes: We just got this system in and running at the end of last summer. I plan on updating once per year, though I would love to do it every 6 months as the seasons change.

I'm to the point where I can print the targets and mail them to the tech... he can email me the curves and I can plug them into the system. We are not perfect, but we are 100% better than b4. Even though the owner is happy with the result, he is old and it is hard to convince him of anything. In order to get another target and calibration, I will have to wait for him to go on vacation that way I can "waste" some paper, plates and press time running up another good target sample. We will blow 8 plates and a couple thousand copies on the web for the test.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

G_Town

Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 11:09:32 AMIndeed.  :rolleyes: We just got this system in and running at the end of last summer. I plan on updating once per year, though I would love to do it every 6 months as the seasons change.

I'm to the point where I can print the targets and mail them to the tech... he can email me the curves and I can plug them into the system. We are not perfect, but we are 100% better than b4. Even though the owner is happy with the result, he is old and it is hard to convince him of anything. In order to get another target and calibration, I will have to wait for him to go on vacation that way I can "waste" some paper, plates and press time running up another good target sample. We will blow 8 plates and a couple thousand copies on the web for the test.

We have all the HW/SW to do it ourselves now, just got G7 master certified last month. I plan on doing it at least twice a year if not every quarter. I've seen these damn UV presses change overnight. :banghead:

Ear

Quote from: G_Town on June 30, 2011, 11:30:47 AM
Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 11:09:32 AMIndeed.  :rolleyes: We just got this system in and running at the end of last summer. I plan on updating once per year, though I would love to do it every 6 months as the seasons change.

We have all the HW/SW to do it ourselves now, just got G7 master certified last month. I plan on doing it at least twice a year if not every quarter. I've seen these damn UV presses change overnight. :banghead:

Ya, see... that's the thing, you have to go through the schooling and get certified to be able to do it. It's not one of those things you can just bang through on your own. Or, you hire someone to do it. The other bitch of a variable is getting the pressmen to not be assholes when you're printing the target. They have to run to the numbers or the test is crap.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

G_Town

Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 11:41:19 AM

Ya, see... that's the thing, you have to go through the schooling and get certified to be able to do it. It's not one of those things you can just bang through on your own. Or, you hire someone to do it. The other bitch of a variable is getting the pressmen to not be assholes when you're printing the target. They have to run to the numbers or the test is crap.

Yep and blankets, packing, pressures dot gain need to be optimal.

Ear

Quote from: G_Town on June 30, 2011, 11:54:40 AM

Yep and pressmen love it  :sarcasm: when you tell them you are going to run a test patch and ask them questions about blankets, packing, pressure, etc...

G_Town

Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 12:54:57 PM
Quote from: G_Town on June 30, 2011, 11:54:40 AM

Yep and pressmen love it  :sarcasm: when you tell them you are going to run a test patch and ask them questions about blankets, packing, pressure, etc...

We have a form they have to fill out documenting about 20 things on the press like conductivity, pressures etc...I love the look they give me when I hand it to them and ask them to fill it out :dev2:

Ear

Ya, like it's personal or something.  :rolleyes:

David

yeah, for them it's writing down what they did to jack up the press sheet.
"No, we didn't do anything, we just inked up and it looks like this"...  BS
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

We had a test form on, that got pulled to do color edits, new plates put on and they couldn't get the color right, so pulled second set of plate, more retouching...

long story short, Op Manager told them to put the fist set of plates back on and come back to where they were originally, guess what, couldn't do it to save their lives.

duh
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Retards. It's establishing the curves... the one time to STFU and just do it by the book.

David

go ask them what standard densities are...

they give you some kind of quizzical look like "what planet are you from?".
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

A couple weeks ago, pressman comes up with a pull and was saying he needed new plates because he couldn't match the proof. I went out there with the boss to look. I told him to get his densities up to at least the ballpark. He said, "they're close enough". I looked at the color bar and said, "your yellow looks like it's in the mid 30s, man, put some ink on the sheet". He says, "you don't know what you're talking about, my yellow is in the 80s, we need a new plate". I said, "humor me and measure density on that yellow". He said "no". Boss told him to do it... it read 39.  :shocked: Bossman was PISSED. I just went back up front to avoid the ensuing shitstorm. No new plates were needed.

:laugh: :salute: :uptonogood: