APPE Error (reading image data stream)

Started by frailer, April 11, 2017, 02:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Anyone got any clues on this?

I've done a HiRes flatten on all 4 pages on that forme. Nup.

I've Placed each of them in Indy and reExported to our presets. Nup.

Back to the serial substitution of Blank pages to pinpoint it.

On 10.6.8 still. Despite this, it's a rare thing to get a non-render.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Pinpointed the page on my *last* Blankie substitution.  :rolleyes:

Back to the drawing board. It's 1615 and I shoulda left here... ah never mind...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

The error, (reading image data stream), makes me think there is something wrong with an image. I know...brilliant right? :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

You'd think but it's probably a invalid character in the file name. I've had prinergy do that where it refines fine but if you impose it and there is a invalid character, it fails. The error that pops up is absolutely no help.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on April 11, 2017, 08:57:52 AMYou'd think but it's probably a invalid character in the file name. I've had prinergy do that where it refines fine but if you impose it and there is a invalid character, it fails. The error that pops up is absolutely no help.

But he is using XMF. ;D

Kodak promised me they are working on making better error messages...8 years ago. Still waiting.

AaronH

Frailer, have you tried doing a global rasterization in XMF? We had a similar issue and Fly Fuji had us turn that on for that job. Only other strange error I've seen lately is a "Number is out of range" error that kills the whole process. Still don't know what causes that one, Fly Fuji doesn't know either. It's usually on a page that is mostly image, all embedded fonts, nothing missing. Very weird.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

I actually see the error "Number is out of range" every now and then in Prinergy too. Usually putting the PDF into Indy and exporting a new PDF fixes it. Sometimes it does not though. Have never figured out what causes it though.

AaronH

I thought it might have something to do with the Edit tool in Acrobat DC. In the two jobs I've gotten the error, I had to edit images in Photoshop from within the PDF to do the CMYK to RGB to CMYK fix to bring my values down to less than 300 total ink since I'm not too keen on the settings my Pitstop uses to convert that way. I thought it might have something to do with that, but I've done the same thing on several other jobs before and since without issue.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

I've seen it on plenty of PDF's that never had an image edited though so I don't think that is it. Or at least it isn't in those cases.

frailer

SorrynI only just now re-surfaced... (like a feckin Weddell seal comin up for air).

Got a new Op here to replace my previous 2 days /week person.. he tooled around; was 2 'corrupt' images (that covers a multitude of sins), one on each. ---> KIB.

Thanks for the input...   :D

Oh, yeah, I should look at that Global Rasterise, if desperate in future. Does it degrade the plateTIFF, compared to a 'normal' render? Most probs wouldn't even notice.

Cheers

Joe

Quote from: frailer on April 13, 2017, 02:03:04 AMSorrynI only just now re-surfaced... (like a feckin Weddell seal comin up for air).

Got a new Op here to replace my previous 2 days /week person.. he tooled around; was 2 'corrupt' images (that covers a multitude of sins), one on each. ---> KIB.

Thanks for the input...  :D

Oh, yeah, I should look at that Global Rasterise, if desperate in future. Does it degrade the plateTIFF, compared to a 'normal' render? Most probs wouldn't even notice.

Cheers

Yes....rasterizing always degrades at output. Customers usually don't notice unless they figure they can get a price reduction if they complain. Anytime I kick a PDF back to the customer I almost always get a crappy rasterized image of the page back. Usually at 72 dpi RGB. And they think they are so smart.

:git off mah lawn: As Ralph Kramden would say...BANG, ZOOM!

Farabomb

I get the opposite, it comes in as 72, I KIB and they send me the same images rerezzed at 300 in PS. Now the image still looks like shit, you porked the fonts and it doesn't come up in preflight.

Us silly printers not knowing how to do the photoshop...

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I wish I could kick back every problem PDF until I get a good quality PDF but our presses would never get to run.

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Quote from: AaronH on April 11, 2017, 11:47:17 AMI thought it might have something to do with the Edit tool in Acrobat DC. In the two jobs I've gotten the error, I had to edit images in Photoshop from within the PDF to do the CMYK to RGB to CMYK fix to bring my values down to less than 300 total ink since I'm not too keen on the settings my Pitstop uses to convert that way. I thought it might have something to do with that, but I've done the same thing on several other jobs before and since without issue.
I edit images for ink density everyday with no problems
I have to reduce ink density also.
One thing I do when I don't know what the problem is, X1A the offending page, see what happens.
if it works then most likely the file.