Output file for die maker

Started by Nivin, September 26, 2014, 07:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nivin

How are you handling dielines? Our die maker wants ONLY the dieline and sheet edge on the PDF we send to them.

Thank you.

Farabomb

I send a imposed PDF with just the dieline in prinergy.

That works 80% of the time. Some vendors I work with bitch that it's a spot color and they need it in 100% K or some BS. It has all the info I need to supply, Placement, marks and sideguide. Some are just stuck in their ways and just want to be a pain.

Not sure XMF has an imposed export option. The way prinergy was set up I didn't have the option originally either. PLayed around for a while and made up something that would work.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Man, if it were that easy.

Some diemakers want separate PDFs. Some want composite. Some prefer entire press sheets. Some want the die color to be black; some want it as a spot. It all depends on the job, how it's laid out and what exactly is being die-cut.

ALWAYS talk to the die-maker before wasting your time. I've been doing this a LONG time, and whatever I think the die-maker needs, it's ALWAYS the opposite, except when I do the opposite.
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

We use 2 vendors for our die work so It's a 50% chance I'll get it right. In the past when we've used more yea, it's a mess. Nobody wants it the same way and they will not bend. Same thing happens with some finishing places refusing to glue to AQ. Seem the older places had issues when AQ just came out and they will never change. Some have entered the 2000's and run better glue/equipment and have no issues.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Our diemaker wants eps, which I can export from Rampage. But they always want a composite with the die overlayed so they can see how it lines up. I haven't had to make a dieline in a  long time, though. Weird.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Farabomb on September 26, 2014, 09:31:31 AMWe use 2 vendors for our die work so It's a 50% chance I'll get it right. In the past when we've used more yea, it's a mess. Nobody wants it the same way and they will not bend. Same thing happens with some finishing places refusing to glue to AQ. Seem the older places had issues when AQ just came out and they will never change. Some have entered the 2000's and run better glue/equipment and have no issues.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I wait to make press blankets until it's almost to press. If it's spot UV, I know I have to make one, but aqueous? It's a matter of where it's going for finishing. Same with envelope conversion; 2 places might want it one way, while the other place HAS to have it another way.

The funny thing is, all of these places print stuff here and the files are absolute shit. However, they demand absolute perfection from us. I find it ridiculous to demand anything when you can't even provide quality files. One envelope converter still hand draws templates we get to digitize. That's a fucking hoot, let me tell you.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

I agree with y'all... die makers are all different. I have one that wants a print out, one that wants PDF and another that wants .eps. Interestingly, the one that wants a print out is the only one who gets it right 100% of the time. He is old school and actually spray-mounts the print to the plywood, then proceeds to cut and insert the cuts and scores.

And yes, XMF will export imposed PDF. I use my Epson proof PDF export for this and simply change the file path to a "outsource" network folder, instead of the EFI hot folder. I also use this method for things that we outsource to a digital vendor.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Nivin

Do you process your die line in a file of its own and add a workflow imposition for it, so the imposed output is die line only?

Ear

Most of the time, I handle the die-line separately, since it really doesn't need to be imposed... unless it is a multiple up die. Otherwise, yes... I will do a duplicate imposition of die-line only. I suppose this is an instance where you could have the die on another layer and use the layer versioning feature in XMF. But mostly, I just send the die line as a stand alone PDF or output to the proofer.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

It depends on where the dieline originated from. If it's in Illustrator, I usually put it on a separate layer JUST for the ability to make a quick file to send to a diemaker. If it's in InDesign, I usually have to put it back together in Illustrator, so the above applies.

If it's of a press sheet, I do it through Prinergy, or used to do it through Apogee X. Depends on what they want, and how much effort I have to put into it.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Same here... I end up opening the die in Illustrator most of the time, since there is always at least a minor tweak or two necessary.

Nivin

Thanks so much! I thought maybe XMF had some secret I hadn't found out about yet.  

Ear

It probably has a lot of them. haahaa

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Nivin on September 26, 2014, 12:53:32 PMThanks so much! I thought maybe XMF had some secret I hadn't found out about yet.

Maybe, but not in this particular situation. It's usually all about the Illustrator.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

It is all about the Illustrator. I don't know that I have ever seen a die-line come in correct from a client. Especially for things like presentation folders, where you leave one edge uncut and bleed the cuts so you can do the final trim on the straight-knife. Details that seem small but are huge for finishing. Moving intersections a RCH so they don't bind and buckle, etc...