XMF & Prinergy to Spinjet hot folder stops folder

Started by Nivin, November 10, 2015, 09:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nivin

We have both a Prinergy Workflow and an XMF Workflow. If we send a proof from XMF to the Spinjet, the hot folders no longer function for Prinergy proofs and we need to reboot the proofer front end.

The output files are going to different hot folders on the Spinjet. Prinergy sends a PDF and XMF sends a TIFF (the reason for different hot folders).

Has anyone else seen this and solved this problem?

Thank you!

Ear

Two full workflows!? This is like a prepress version of "First World Problems" :rotf: 

I kid, I kid... but seriously, I only have one XMF. I do have two EFI Fierys and they are both a PITA.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

I have a printdrive rack parked not 50 ft away from my prinergy server.

The rack holds my switches. The boxes haven't been on in years.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

I can't answer your specific question, but I don't like the idea of having Prinergy send PDFs to the proofer (unless that PDF is fully rasterized by Prinergy, but I kinda doubt that's what is happening). By sending a PDF to the proofer, you are asking the proofer's RIP to interpret and rasterize the PDF and if it interprets differently than Prinergy would, you could end up with proofs that don't match plate.

I would prefer to send rasterized TIFF from any workflow to the proofer - that way, the same engine that creates 1-bit tiff for plate is the same engine creating 8-bit tiff for proof. No surprises this way.

Sorry I can't address your initial question!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Ear

I agree with DCurry. I send rendered tiffs to my Spinjet and they are bulletproof. I send PDF to my Epson with the Fiery but only to get a color correct proof, and I don't 100% trust it as a content proof.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Nivin

I talked to XMF hoping they would have an idea of what might be causing this. They came up with a virus program might be causing it. And when opening a window to see what's happening to a file, the act of the thumbnail being created may lock the file.

Nivin

In case this may be helpful to anyone else . . . I think we have solved the problem. It seems when Prinergy actually "talks" to the proofer front ends is when everything locks and we need to reboot. So we created a HOLD folder into which we print the Prinergy proofs and then manually drag them into the correct output folder on the proofer front end. Seems to have solved the problem.

David

could you not put a delay on the hot folder to give the file time to finish writing before it starts to process?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca