Mix a Pantone using only 2 Process inks

Started by Slappy, January 13, 2022, 10:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Maybe I'm overthinking this but here's the setup:

We've been running a ton of shells in a PMS 287C & then imprinting several versions in black on a digital press.
Now, we want to run everything inline on a large digital press & I need to replicate that blue PMS with just Cyan & black.
In my head, that's not really a duotone (because most of the blue items will be vector) so how do I arrive at the closest mix to be near that PMS 287 as possible?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

About the closest I can come is C=100 K=80 and it isn't all that close to PMS 287C
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

Yeah, kinda gets the tint right but the hue is terrible.
I don't know how to get a royal blue without a bunch of magenta :shrug:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

to match 287 with just cyan and black is gonna be very tough.
Depending on how "close" you want it.
The actual makeup of 287 is Reflex Blue and Process Blue (not cyan) with a smidge of Black.
Reflex blue is on the red side, and the Process Blue is darker than Cyan.

Can you not run magenta as well on the digital press or are you looking to keep the click count down?

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Forgive me if thhis is a stupid idea, and I don't know a lot about digital still, but if you have access to the liquid "inks"... what about doing a fountain mix by weight? at a ratio of 1 : 0.87 cyan:magenta?? then just let the press think it is cyan?
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Slappy

Quote from: David on January 13, 2022, 11:33:26 AM
Can you not run magenta as well on the digital press or are you looking to keep the click count down?
This, trying to keep it as a 2-click count. Which then relates to...

Quote from: born2print on January 13, 2022, 12:56:20 PM
Forgive me if this is a stupid idea, and I don't know a lot about digital still, but if you have access to the liquid "inks"... what about doing a fountain mix by weight? at a ratio of 1 : 0.87 cyan:magenta?? then just let the press think it is cyan?
I think this will be the path, or just getting the pre-mixed digital version of the PMS 287 and sucking up the added cost.
If we have access to an ink mixing station and can create the "fake Cyan" that would be pretty cool.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

curious if the cost of the special blue is less than the click charge.

What press is it going on?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

madbugger

Quote from: Slappy on January 13, 2022, 01:10:53 PM
This, trying to keep it as a 2-click count. Which then relates to...

We have a saying around here that goes: You can't make strawberry jam out of pig sh1t no matter how much sugar you use.

I think they either pay the click rate or have a color that is a fair way off
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent