News:

Main Menu

Still alive!

Started by EyeTech, May 03, 2018, 10:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EyeTech

Yo prepress heroes! After a substantial absence from the unsung area of print,I'm sort of back in the saddle, leastways until I get to retire. (Should've retired last year but popular demand has kept me employed...I'm estimating and operations manager now, so a step up or sideways from sales).

Had a cataclysmic electronic meltdown across several machines last week...basically anything with a cpu and power supply unit got fried...that included our 4 up Acento CTP. Having to outsource plates until the insurance dudes deny our claim (fingers crossed they don't!)

Gulp...so now we need to replace it but rather than jump in with both boots I though I'd ask the guys that really know...
...so, what's the best combo of CTP & Workflow? What would you recommend if your were spending your  $ / £ / €?

Heidelberg B2 5 col CD and coater is the end device. We run from very lightweight to heavy carton stock. Currently, 2400 @200lpi and/or FM screening.

Man! It's good to be back!
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

Joe

Quote from: EyeTech on May 03, 2018, 10:29:33 AMYo prepress heroes! After a substantial absence from the unsung area of print,I'm sort of back in the saddle, leastways until I get to retire. (Should've retired last year but popular demand has kept me employed...I'm estimating and operations manager now, so a step up or sideways from sales).

Had a cataclysmic electronic meltdown across several machines last week...basically anything with a cpu and power supply unit got fried...that included our 4 up Acento CTP. Having to outsource plates until the insurance dudes deny our claim (fingers crossed they don't!)

Gulp...so now we need to replace it but rather than jump in with both boots I though I'd ask the guys that really know...
...so, what's the best combo of CTP & Workflow? What would you recommend if your were spending your  $ / £ / €?

Heidelberg B2 5 col CD and coater is the end device. We run from very lightweight to heavy carton stock. Currently, 2400 @200lpi and/or FM screening.

Man! It's good to be back!

Welcome back EyeTech!

If I were spending my own money a Screen CTP and XMF.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Agreed with Joe. The Screen thermal platesetters are workhorses. Ours is now 14 years old with over 400,000 imaged plates and still running strong. WE are 100% folding cartons here so Esko is our RIP of choice. For commercial work XMF seems to be the most economical choice and Fuji provides great service.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Slappy

Whoa, there's a blast from the past!!  :hello:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

Welcome back EyeTech! Hope the insurance covers it!

ninjaPB_43

Howdy Partner (from your Texas friends)...  Long live and prepress.   You can never leave the force. I gotta agree with Joe, I've heard good things about doing that.  :ninja:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Possum

Welcome back! Popular demand - don't knock it. Enjoy being wanted.

Now that you're back, don't be a stranger.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

We need a DCS/Gnubler/Sabby/Youston reunion
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Ahhh yes, the good, the bad and the Sabby.  :kona:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Ear

Hi Born.  :hello:  I like the helmet... your other avatar was creeping me out.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Yeah, me too, it had to go  :hello:

born2print

te he!
you like the helmet, eh?
 :evil:

Ear

Hella. It goes with my socks. :naughty:

Farabomb

One enters, another leaves. Welcome back Eye Tech.

I hope to never have to come back but I was helping my "replacement" earlier today. I am slightly upset Sabby and I wasn't able to meet up I but I expect to be back in her area before the year is over.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job