3 part NCR on an Indigo Press

Started by David, January 16, 2019, 11:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Have any you guys done this with sequential numbering (all 3 parts have a number on them and the next 3 with a different number, rinse repeat).
If so, how did you set it up?

TIA!

Cheers!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

i use data merge in indesign..

make a 3-page master, same data field on all 3 pages.. when you merge it will create record 1x3pages, record 2x3 pages, etc...

usually our numbering jobs arent huge so this does the trick for me.

David

aha!
so, (for example), a 50 page 3 part file will contain 150 pages (one for each of the 3 parts).

Thanks!
Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

yeah, it will make some beefy files but it works. I usually just set a master page on the fiery and send the VD info separately

pspdfppdfxhd

Quite Imposing, do it all the time, you add a number and choose how many times it repeats before continuing.

Santa

I just let indesign number the pages 1-1,000 etc. Export to a single PDF with 1,000 pages and then print 3 sets "uncollated" so it goes page 1, page 1, page 1, page 2, page 2, page2...etc.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

scottrsimons

I use Fusion Pro, for most of our variable jobs. Sometimes use Indesign, and rarely use Quite Imposing.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

AaronH

Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

David

Excellent, thanks for the tips!

Cheers!!
Livin' la Vida Loca

Kermy812

This is pretty easy - I'm not to sure how in depth to go on this. I guessing you have the SmartStream Designer (SSD) plugin & documentation? There are a few ways to this, but the easiest & fastest:
       Create sequence number in excel, Save as tab text or csv.
       Put your art on 3 pages in 1 indd doc.
       Use SSD to get the sequence numbers with the Database import
       Create the text box, change to variable & insert header, then copy it to the other 2 pages
       Impose & output/create jlt or pdf
Definitely do this: Install your variable font at DFE/RIP or use a font already installed as SNAP,
then you can output as Fast jlt, then this will fly thru the DFE/RIP.
It will take like under 60 seconds to rip 10,000 pages.
I could probably put a video together, if this is not making sense...

David

Kermy, thanks for the tips.
Yes, I am familiar with doing it on the Indigo DFE, and you are right, it will blow through pages.
Doing the same function through Indesign SS will take almost an hour to send.

But, I would like to see a video if you don't mind to see if the way I do it is better/worse.

thanks!
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

I'd like to see the video too! And I don't even work on an Indigo :laugh:

I'll bring the  :popcorn:

Kermy812

Here ya go - It's in real time too (9 minutes). I think it took longer to preview the job the rip than to work it. lol.
This is a quicktime movie:
download