Sticky 4-col to Gray conversion

Started by frailer, October 29, 2012, 06:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

We get these mono pages regularly, with odd 4 col (mono) pics, mixed in with the (correct) Gray ones. I can crack the pic out of Acrobat 10, convert to Gray in PhSh CS6 (v13), and it saves back in. My compadre, same route... won't 'take' to Grayscale. We have checked Color Settings between both PhShops,  ---> aligned. Still no dice.
Thoughts? If she uses Acrobat 10, and PhSh CS5.1, does it OK, so must be PhSh 6.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

frailer

Diddler

I just ran a test in XMF PreFlight Action Lists. "Convert to Greyscale". Worked fine. Maybe no need for PhSh.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 29, 2012, 06:54:07 PMDump plist time?   :undecided:

Make sure Photoshop is fully updated by the Adobe Gods. We had an issue of Photoshop CS6 losing the image scaling in the PDF when saved out of Photoshop when we first installed CS6. The affected machines were not fully updated. Updating it fixed the issue.

frailer

Joe, yes, shall check that. Diddler, yep, another way to skin the cat.

frailer

Updates done. Compañera retried crack jpeg>grayscale in PhSh CS6> save back in, save on PDF... worked.   :cheesy:  Updates it was...

Diddler

Quote from: frailer on October 29, 2012, 09:02:39 PMJoe, yes, shall check that. Diddler, yep, another way to skin the cat.

just thinking outloud here, without doing tests but . . . What if you remapped and merged the CMY to K in the new ink mapping feature in V5. Only problems might be angles and ink %. Im almost out of here for the day but will run some tests tonight and plate in the morning to see if it works. Also will test greyscale EAL on individual pages/sections.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

Yep, if the EALs can't be run on a page-by-page basis, definitely a feature request. Can't imagine it would be too hard. I'm not a programmer, but surely a few lines of code pointing to a selected page, rather than globally on the Reading Order list.
We'll start a lobby group, Diddler.   :evil:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 29, 2012, 10:33:38 PMUpdates done. Compañera retried crack jpeg>grayscale in PhSh CS6> save back in, save on PDF... worked.   :cheesy:  Updates it was...

Moral of the story....keep your updates updated.

Possum

If you've got a long document, it may not be a good idea to rely on that grayscale conversion in Acrobat. I've had booklets that still had some pages RIP four plates on some graphics after conversion, so I had to go back and do the Photoshop thing anyway. It's not foolproof, especially when you get files from those pesky office programs.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

frailer

Duly cautioned, Possum. I sometimes wonder whether doing a "Save As..." helps, in that regard; as in, a full file re-write.

mattbeals

Quote from: Joe on October 30, 2012, 07:07:28 AM
Quote from: frailer on October 29, 2012, 10:33:38 PMUpdates done. Compañera retried crack jpeg>grayscale in PhSh CS6> save back in, save on PDF... worked.   :cheesy:  Updates it was...

Moral of the story....keep your updates updated.

EAL's can be run on an individual page. Unless you are referring to a different environment executing the action list.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.