News:

Main Menu

Code39 Barcode

Started by Slappy, April 27, 2021, 09:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I've got a new client that has the need for a Code39 Barcode included in data. I've got a Code39 font, XMPie generate it correctly using their supplied data, but they're requesting that it have the longer end barcodes like the attached "Sample" image. (I don't those ends have to be longer, but they need to be printed for the reader to recognize it.)

When I add the asterisk character directly in the text box, of course it shows the asterisks but I don't want that to be visible. (Image "Manual character added")

Is there another version of the Code39 that would generate those end codes correctly, or...?

I know XMPie does barcodes natively via QLingo but I just don't have the time (or patience) to learn that today.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

born2print

MBC4 has around 33 types of Code39, not sure if it is free software...
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Slappy

Quote from: born2print on April 27, 2021, 09:32:59 AM
MBC4 has around 33 types of Code39, not sure if it is free software...

What's MBC4?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

born2print

It's a pretty good barcode software we've had so long that I don't remember the origin...
and it just loads and works without any license key or whatever as far as I can tell, I've upgraded the Mac then just dropped it on the drive and go with it.

born2print

We also use BC Studio, but it is the opposite - need new license key every time, etc...

Slappy

Ah I see. Interesting, it generate images I suppose instead of being font-based.

I'm messing with a demo version of IDAutomation's too, I think it has a version that will do natively what I need. Maybe.

David

I use BC Studio here, works great, but not free.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

scottrsimons

Even though I have used XMPie, you should be able to do that with layers. We use FusionPro. Have a text box with your barcode created, and then place another text box on top, with white fill, and the same text data for the barcode. Will need to play around with placement, but should be able to get it to look the same.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Slappy

Don't run FusionPro here.

I got a sign-off using the IDAutomation version, so guess we'll be purchasing that one! (Pic attached for kicks)

Thx all, I love barcodes.  ::)

DCurry

If you don't want the asterisks to appear, there are a couple options. You'd have to have the human readable text as a separate box and not incorporated into the barcode itself, but once you do that can you tell XMPie to substring so it ignores the first and last characters?

If you can't do that, you can use a GREP style in InDesign to change asterisks to a different color like Paper so it seems to disappear. There's a few steps involved so let me know if I need to get more detailed.

Also, since you're dealing with a separate text box for the human readable, you could make its fill color White or Paper and overlap the actual barcode so that the end bars appear longer like you wanted in the first place.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DPSprint

Quote from: Slappy on April 27, 2021, 12:23:51 PM
Don't run FusionPro here.

I got a sign-off using the IDAutomation version, so guess we'll be purchasing that one! (Pic attached for kicks)

Thx all, I love barcodes.  ::)
we use the IDautomation one (sans asterisks) and it works fine  ;)