consider a harlequin 7.1 rip

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, April 18, 2011, 10:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

any one had any experience on a harlequin rip version 7.1? We're considering buying a used ctp and that's the rip that comes with it. I've heard others say that the only rip that makes sense for the future is one based on the Adobe print engine.

Any help appreciated.

Joe

What are you going to send to it? And is it an actual RIP that will be doing the screening or is it just a tiff catcher?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

it's the actual rip, trapping screening etc.

Supposed to replace our old Apogee X system.

pspdfppdfxhd

more of the money available at this time is going to a small 4 color litho press that's all digital. Not getting a new ctp unfortunately. The platesetter is a SCREEN about 5 years old. I guess it's refirbushed.

Joe

8.3 appears to be the latest version so as usual, newer file formats could pose a problem. Their web site does state though that:

QuoteThe Harlequin RIP has processed PostScript files natively since 1988 and PDF files natively since 1997, including rendering of live PDF transparency since 2002. It also processes XPS, the print and document format from Microsoft natively.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Chilbear

You are in Toronto and I believe Unisource is the vendor of record for Harlequin. I know of another printer in TO with very poor comments about the service from Unisource - basically they do not want to do it unless you bought the software from them. RIP runs fine but the whole Heidy / Harlequin / CTP (Screen) thing is "sorta" working. Scancorp is my choice for a CTP solution - solid when I needed them (years ago).

pspdfppdfxhd

that's funny, thats who they bought it from. Just signed the papers.

pspdfppdfxhd

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on April 18, 2011, 11:12:13 AM8.3 appears to be the latest version so as usual, newer file formats could pose a problem. Their web site does state though that:

QuoteThe Harlequin RIP has processed PostScript files natively since 1988 and PDF files natively since 1997, including rendering of live PDF transparency since 2002. It also processes XPS, the print and document format from Microsoft natively.

Sounds good..... I wonder why not a lot of people seem to be using this rip. I did notice however, that it's the rip they sell with the Presstek digital-offset presses. (which we may be purchasing after the ctp gets running).

beermonster

i ran similar - mine was a xitron rip - running a screen 8000II ctp. rip was iffy - we had a few transparency issues and had to do workrounds - i cant remember specifics since we were doing all manner of sports, metallics and process mixes i'm sure it was some of that.

strangely enough one of the guys who actually designed the harlequin rip system lives and works about 20 miles from me here in the good ol' U of K - small world huh?

I think most systems these days are not just rip based but workflow based - inclusive of rip - like prinergy and fuji stuff etc so the harlequin is fighting against closed loop proprietary systems and workflows. xitron in fairness do have some nifty stuff but ri found their service to be.....nil. wasnt impressed

the screen 8000II was awesome. never stopped running, never broke down, never needed feeding and didn't need a work permit. plate slip sheets misfeeding was a pain tho
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

G_Town

Quote from: beermonster on April 19, 2011, 09:08:54 AMi ran similar - mine was a xitron rip - running a screen 8000II ctp. rip was iffy - we had a few transparency issues and had to do workrounds - i cant remember specifics since we were doing all manner of sports, metallics and process mixes i'm sure it was some of that.

strangely enough one of the guys who actually designed the harlequin rip system lives and works about 20 miles from me here in the good ol' U of K - small world huh?

I think most systems these days are not just rip based but workflow based - inclusive of rip - like prinergy and fuji stuff etc so the harlequin is fighting against closed loop proprietary systems and workflows. xitron in fairness do have some nifty stuff but ri found their service to be.....nil. wasnt impressed

the screen 8000II was awesome. never stopped running, never broke down, never needed feeding and didn't need a work permit. plate slip sheets misfeeding was a pain tho

I ran a xitron for a couple years before we got our lotem, we had an interface card to output to our dolev800, only grief I ever had was the occasional moire pattern that we couldn't seem to shake.

pspdfppdfxhd

I Know y'all extoll the virtues of going ctp.... but as we unfold here into installation, training, working around the clients who want rush jobs and having no film, contact frame etc. and without the ability to make a plate.... I and many others are freaking out! Just cleaning all the gunk left behind in the plateroom was an ordeal! We're about half way there to making a plate but hell, this is a brand new rip to learn and stuff.

Any encouraging words from anyone who had gone through this ? I'm thinking some of y'all planned better but there must be some that fly by the seat of your pants like us.

David

it's like getting a cold...  you'll be all better when you clear out the stuffiness.

Read, read some more, and when you get trained, learn fast.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: david on May 19, 2011, 08:42:28 AMit's like getting a cold...  you'll be all better when you clear out the stuffiness.

Read, read some more, and when you get trained, learn fast.

That makes sense, but right now it feels like pneumonia! Learn fast: wow, theres even a face here for that!

pspdfppdfxhd

Sorry, it was the "whip me" emotcian up there I can see it but it didnt come in the message!!!