Does the current crisis affect your company?

Started by Laurens, January 12, 2009, 03:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelle

Quote from: hotmetal on March 03, 2009, 05:56:38 PM
Quote from: youston on March 03, 2009, 05:48:01 PM
Quote from: PrepressPrincess on March 03, 2009, 05:41:45 PMI see this conversation had started about 2 months ago, but I just caught it today.  I wanted to make a statement here, but decided to wait until I got home and say it just in case big brother is watching / listening.  Anyway, my company decided to make all these fancy prinergy upgrades with has so many new features - blah blah blah.  Long story short, the company refuses to pay anyone for training and it fell on me to sit and figure some stuff out.  Well, you know what?  You can bet your ass there are a few features that all in all could save the company a little bit of money and time.  But you know what?  I am the only one in that entire company that knows it.  Management is too busy with their heads in their asses to really actually learn anything so I CHOOSE NOT TO TELL THEM!  Know why?  I happen to really like the people I work with.  We are like family.  Faster/Better features = less employees.  I don't think I would get any special treatment or even a fricking raise for taking all this time to figure it out cause they're too cheap to hire a trainer.  So, Screw Em I Say!  Well, change "screw" to one big fat "F-Bomb".  I will keep all this fancy new knowledge to myself!  We haven't had any layoffs yet and I'm going to see to it that all of us are ALWAYS needed.  Even if it takes a little bit longer to get something to press.  Honestly, they would never know the difference!  ****Side note- I love this new look!  You people ROCK!

Why does this story sound familiar ... hmmm ... OH! I remember! It's only the STORY OF MY LIFE!! :angry: My company spent 4 times the cost of a training class for me to sit in an office for a period of time and figure something out. When I pointed this out, I got the blankest stare ....

Like deer in the headlights.
I think I saw that deer on the way home tonight...
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

hotmetal

Quote from: Chelle on March 03, 2009, 07:26:42 PM
Quote from: hotmetal on March 03, 2009, 05:56:38 PM
Quote from: youston on March 03, 2009, 05:48:01 PM
Quote from: PrepressPrincess on March 03, 2009, 05:41:45 PMI see this conversation had started about 2 months ago, but I just caught it today.  I wanted to make a statement here, but decided to wait until I got home and say it just in case big brother is watching / listening.  Anyway, my company decided to make all these fancy prinergy upgrades with has so many new features - blah blah blah.  Long story short, the company refuses to pay anyone for training and it fell on me to sit and figure some stuff out.  Well, you know what?  You can bet your ass there are a few features that all in all could save the company a little bit of money and time.  But you know what?  I am the only one in that entire company that knows it.  Management is too busy with their heads in their asses to really actually learn anything so I CHOOSE NOT TO TELL THEM!  Know why?  I happen to really like the people I work with.  We are like family.  Faster/Better features = less employees.  I don't think I would get any special treatment or even a fricking raise for taking all this time to figure it out cause they're too cheap to hire a trainer.  So, Screw Em I Say!  Well, change "screw" to one big fat "F-Bomb".  I will keep all this fancy new knowledge to myself!  We haven't had any layoffs yet and I'm going to see to it that all of us are ALWAYS needed.  Even if it takes a little bit longer to get something to press.  Honestly, they would never know the difference!  ****Side note- I love this new look!  You people ROCK!

Why does this story sound familiar ... hmmm ... OH! I remember! It's only the STORY OF MY LIFE!! :angry: My company spent 4 times the cost of a training class for me to sit in an office for a period of time and figure something out. When I pointed this out, I got the blankest stare ....

Like deer in the headlights.
I think I saw that deer on the way home tonight...

Hire him quick, he belongs in management!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Slappy

Quote from: PrepressPrincess on March 03, 2009, 05:41:45 PMBut you know what?  I am the only one in that entire company that knows it.  Management is too busy with their heads in their asses to really actually learn anything so I CHOOSE NOT TO TELL THEM!  Know why?  I happen to really like the people I work with.  We are like family.  Faster/Better features = less employees.  I don't think I would get any special treatment or even a fricking raise for taking all this time to figure it out cause they're too cheap to hire a trainer.  So, Screw Em I Say!  Well, change "screw" to one big fat "F-Bomb".  I will keep all this fancy new knowledge to myself!  We haven't had any layoffs yet and I'm going to see to it that all of us are ALWAYS needed.  Even if it takes a little bit longer to get something to press.  Honestly, they would never know the difference!
I gotta say, that just made my whole week to read! Our idiotic management does the exact same thing, only they had one person go to official training, and then try to train everybody else in-house.  :rolleyes:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

ratintrap

PrepressPrincess

Power to the Pre-Press People, my friends!!  Just doing my part to keep us all employed.  Feel free to follow my lead if you can!  Let's start a revolution of "uhhhh, I don't know, let me look into that" and then take weeks/months to figure it out, ha ha!
Management should know better than to anger a princess with a giant machine gun, ha ha!

Nick Burns

Training classes are important, they are an excellent opportunity to catch up on some much needed sleep. I once sat in an actual Heidelberg class where the primary objective one day was to learn how to insert and eject dat tapes. The teacher was quite miffed when he realized I was sound asleep. I guess it probably was due to the fact I was his sole pupil. He was even more miffed when in an effort to "teach me a lesson", he asked me to get up and demonstrate what he had just shown me and I actually was able to perform this herculean task completely uninitiated.

But hey, it got me out of work for a solid month, 2 weeks in Atlanta and 2 weeks in LA back to back. Every once in a while you actually do learn something, there was a guy named Larry who taught LinoColor and he taught me a great deal about real world hands on color management.
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

Lumpy

Hell Yeah!!! I'm the sole survivor on 1st shift right now. We're going to have rotating layoffs I believe, so my numbers coming up. I should have been a Pro Bowler instead of going into printing!
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

tapdn

Just announced about a 10-15% pay cut here, but fortunately no layoffs.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Lumpy

I'm hearing rumblings of pay cuts around here.

Skryber

That sucks, man. We have pay cuts and hour cuts here too. Fortunately, I wasn't included. -=crosses fingers=-
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

tiger lil

Lumpy

My question is, how does reducing hours solve a lack of sales? Its real frustrating when the BOSSMAN comes and asks everyone to pitch in and go that extra mile, while they just sit around and do nothing! I gotta get off this damn site, I'M GONNA LOSE IT!!!

Joe

Quote from: Lumpy on March 11, 2009, 12:07:56 PMMy question is, how does reducing hours solve a lack of sales? Its real frustrating when the BOSSMAN comes and asks everyone to pitch in and go that extra mile, while they just sit around and do nothing! I gotta get off this damn site, I'M GONNA LOSE IT!!!

Well $50 per hour x 8 hours = $400 savings per week per person. :evil:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Lumpy

Joe, that doesn't solve the problem. It just delays the inevitable.