Rerouting an Epson to an HP

Started by PrepressPrincess, October 15, 2010, 12:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrepressPrincess

I am running Prinergy 5, I have an Epson Integris 7880 hooked up for press proofs(PC driven with all the fancy Kodak calibrations etc..) Say my Epson takes a crap, can I reroute the settings set up for this Integris to a HP-6100 Wide format printer? I would think it's just a matter of choosing a different proofing device. But we know how funny it is when we think something "might" be simple. I'm trying to accomplish this today if possible.
**Side note, I am trying to buy an old Integris 7600 from my company. I got the okay (at a great price) but I need to prove I can get the HP to print the same proofs as the new Integris. HELP.... Pllleeeaaassseee!

t-pat

Quote from: PrepressPrincess on October 15, 2010, 12:52:14 PMI am running Prinergy 5, I have an Epson Integris 7880 hooked up for press proofs(PC driven with all the fancy Kodak calibrations etc..) Say my Epson takes a crap, can I reroute the settings set up for this Integris to a HP-6100 Wide format printer? I would think it's just a matter of choosing a different proofing device. But we know how funny it is when we think something "might" be simple. I'm trying to accomplish this today if possible.
**Side note, I am trying to buy an old Integris 7600 from my company. I got the okay (at a great price) but I need to prove I can get the HP to print the same proofs as the new Integris. HELP.... Pllleeeaaassseee!

Epson <> HP
2 completely different inkjet technologies, if you can get it to print "the same" I'd be floored.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

you mean not all inkjets are the same?

color me shocked.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: david on October 15, 2010, 01:51:52 PMyou mean not all inkjets are the same?

color me shocked.

What color profile shocked would you like? I can do a reasonable G7 if you give me all day to read the damn strips :)
vdp donkey

David

Quote from: tpatterson on October 15, 2010, 02:06:39 PM
Quote from: david on October 15, 2010, 01:51:52 PMyou mean not all inkjets are the same?

color me shocked.

What color profile shocked would you like? I can do a reasonable G7 if you give me all day to read the damn strips :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

actually not funny, but it is.    been there done that.
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

I can't even get the same color from day to day...on the same printer. Color me pissed.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

just make sure you calibrate and then re-calibrate for the calibration. Then close one eye and squint, the color should be closer by then.
Livin' la Vida Loca

PrepressPrincess

Thanks, friends! I was just hoping for a reasonably close color match. I knew I wouldn't get the same. It was only for the purpose of a day or two if our main printer went down. Yeah, it's probably not worth my time or energy to go through all this crap for a good deal so I guess I'll start hitting up craigslist, ebay, epson used and find one on my own. Any other ideas on good sites to buy a decent wide format photo printer like this one? Thanks again, you'se are all swell! Have a great weekend!
Hey, I wonder if anyone has one listed here in the used equipment section? Hmm, I'll check that out later too!

t-pat

Quote from: PrepressPrincess on October 15, 2010, 03:36:40 PMThanks, friends! I was just hoping for a reasonably close color match. I knew I wouldn't get the same. It was only for the purpose of a day or two if our main printer went down. Yeah, it's probably not worth my time or energy to go through all this crap for a good deal so I guess I'll start hitting up craigslist, ebay, epson used and find one on my own. Any other ideas on good sites to buy a decent wide format photo printer like this one? Thanks again, you'se are all swell! Have a great weekend!
Hey, I wonder if anyone has one listed here in the used equipment section? Hmm, I'll check that out later too!

Sorry Princess, it's been a long week. I know it wasn't terribly helpful :)

Honestly for home usage, I'd probably be more keen on HP unless you're running daily, my experience with epson is mixed in that if you don't run it regularly it'll clog up. With HP you get a fresh print head and go, or really cheat it and slap the print head in an ultrasonic cleaner for a bit if it's clogged on you.

Also bulk inking is a bit easier with HP style printers. Speaking from owning and operating a couple Encad wide format machines which are very similar. Nightmares with clogs on epson 3000 & 5500 that I owned and didn't run daily.

On the color match between your hp and epson at the shop, I guess it depends on how picky your customers are. If you profile them both you could get something that would work.
vdp donkey

Joe

Quote from: PrepressPrincess on October 15, 2010, 03:36:40 PMThanks, friends! I was just hoping for a reasonably close color match. I knew I wouldn't get the same. It was only for the purpose of a day or two if our main printer went down. Yeah, it's probably not worth my time or energy to go through all this crap for a good deal so I guess I'll start hitting up craigslist, ebay, epson used and find one on my own. Any other ideas on good sites to buy a decent wide format photo printer like this one? Thanks again, you'se are all swell! Have a great weekend!

How wide you wanna go? We have a Canon W8200 44" for sale. And the RIP too if interested.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

How much and what did you use it for? What kinds of stock can it run?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on October 15, 2010, 04:12:21 PMHow much and what did you use it for? What kinds of stock can it run?

I'll have to find out the price plus it depends if you want the EFI ColorXF RIP software and the HP Proliant Server attached to it. We used it for both imposition proofing using end rolls from the web presses and also did contract proofs using Glossy and Matt inkjet roll paper. You can also feed it sheets. It's been under a service contract since we bought it and recently had the print head replaced.

gnubler

Ok, because 30 minutes before you posted that I was in a meeting with my boss and we talked again about getting a wide format printer (and laminator). Not for proofing, but mainly for doing posters & banners.

Joe

Yep, we've done that on it before.

PrepressPrincess

One thousand "Thank You's" TP! Yep, I'm a huge HP fan myself. I was only going to get an Epson because it would have been available through the hell hole I go to for 8 hours a day.  I was checking out the HP Designjet 130. I keep finding myself going back to it. I would like a 24'' photo printer (I plan on using roll paper and have a pretty good source to buy it & ink from). In an effort to keep myself busy & make extra money, I've started to create my own line of holiday photo greeting cards. It's a fantastic racket to get into! I have all of my own designs, people can send me their pics or I will go and take their family photo (photography is a hobby of mine too). Then I want to mass print on my own. My other HPs are fantastic but, dang, they eat up ink fast. So, in your (all of you here), do you have any opinions or printer suggestions? I'd like to stay around a grand or two if possible and that includes the printer stand. Also, feel free to steal my idea. I've found it to be an easy and pretty good money maker on the side. Some people are just nuts about those photo christmas cards!
So, there, know I feel like I've given you something in return for your always fabulous advice, help & tips!