Xmpie or Fusion Pro

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, September 19, 2018, 07:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

This has probably come up before, maybe even by me!

However, we're looking to expand our capabilities with variable printing, the Indesign data merge just isn't enough for some of the work we might be getting.

We need all that conditional variable stuff like IF, AND, etc.

Looking at Fusion Pro or Xmpie, big price difference, looks like Xmpiie might be 4x more, and wondering if FP would be all we need.

Hopeful for some feedback.

pspdfppdfxhd

Oh, and how about the training?

I am a reasonably fart smeller, I mean smart feller, but, I would definately need some training to get going. After all, I was a film stripper 20 odd years ago, so I can't be that bright.

DCurry

I've never used XMPie, but my understanding of it is that it works as a plugin to ID so you are building everything in a very familiar environment. I've heard it's very good with a price tag to match.

I have used FusionPro off and on for years and while you can kind of pre-set some things in InDesign, all the real work and programming happens within Acrobat. FP is not the most user-friendly solution, however if you are looking for bang for your buck it wins hands down. It is very powerful, but a lot of the power comes from JavaScript so if you're not a scripter it can be a little daunting to get it to do what you want. They do have a very good user forum and some real smart folks who frequent it and will help with solutions (as long as you ask the questions the right way!)

You can build some rules (IF/THEN statements) fairly easily in FP by using their rule builder wizard.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

pspdfppdfxhd

Hmmm, tough choice, cost versus difficulty.

I thought FP was an .indd module.

Better look into it, I am not at all versed in JavaScript however.

What about the Meadows publishing extension. :drunk3:

pspdfppdfxhd

Used Printshop Mail a few years ago. It came with our old Konica machine.

It only worked with pdf's on the pc though so that was a pain in the ass.

Had all the features we would need however.

Working in Indesign-Mac is a must have for all the issues involved, especially fonts.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on September 19, 2018, 08:33:22 AMHmmm, tough choice, cost versus difficulty.

I thought FP was an .indd module.

Better look into it, I am not at all versed in JavaScript however.

What about the Meadows publishing extension. :drunk3:

That Meadows product is: design merge pro.

DigiCorn

FP can pretty much do most everything XMPie can do, BUT it's only good for up to, say, 100,000 records, so if your runs are huge, then XMPie, otherwise FP should be fine. It has plugins for .indd, but the vast majority of setup is in Acrobat. Super easy to learn compared to XMPie as well.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

There is something called Design Merge plugin for Indesign, Don't know anything about it.
I know it cost around 4000 or something like that, If  you want I can give you the guy's info that has been trying to sell it to me.
He can set you up with Demos
I knew my boss wouldn't buy it for me. He wouldn't update my XMF License!

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 19, 2018, 09:12:33 AMFP can pretty much do most everything XMPie can do, BUT it's only good for up to, say, 100,000 records, so if your runs are huge, then XMPie, otherwise FP should be fine. It has plugins for .indd, but the vast majority of setup is in Acrobat. Super easy to learn compared to XMPie as well.

Super easy to learn, I hear, if you know Java Script...

Or do you mean using predefined actions that guide you through the IF, AND etc. functions? Printshop Mail was pretty good at that but I didn't understand it all.

And what if you have a letter that has variable paragraphs? I mean conditionally substituting different paragraphs in letters? Are you setting the paragraph onto the pdf on a layer for example? Can you copy and paste the letter from Indesign to Acrobat?

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 19, 2018, 09:12:33 AMFP can pretty much do most everything XMPie can do, BUT it's only good for up to, say, 100,000 records, so if your runs are huge, then XMPie, otherwise FP should be fine. It has plugins for .indd, but the vast majority of setup is in Acrobat. Super easy to learn compared to XMPie as well.

Cant' see us doing over 100,000. Mostly around 10,000, 40,000 max. So that's not an issue.

DCurry

FP is not too hard to learn. Basic rules are pretty easy. I was just saying that if you do know JavaScript you can really make it do some wild things.

I think you should get a demo and try it out. Variable paragraphs should be pretty easy. I don't think it works in layers like you are thinking, but you can create a paragraph as a "text resource" and use rules to place it when desired.

We also use SmartStream for a lot of jobs. Currently it is our main go-to because it is pretty easy, it works as a plug-in to ID so it's a very familiar environment and you can combine ID features with SmartStream to do some pretty complex stuff fairly easily. It costs more than FP, though, and can be a little flaky. It also has limitations that FP does not, but that's more in the really complex stuff. We also have a server version of SmartStream called Composer which chews through the files much faster than the desktop version.

We also have GMC Inspire but so far we're only using it on a select couple of jobs, and we hired a guy who already knew how to use it because it is DEEP. I'm sure we'll get some experience on that down the road. Very, very expensive (you could buy a Ferrari or two instead.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

pspdfppdfxhd

So I guess, even though you're in Acrobat, the available fonts would match the ones you are using in Indesign?

DCurry

Not if you are loading fonts thru ID's "Document fonts" folder. To use them in Acrobat/Fusion you need to make them available to the system either thru a traditional font manager or by copying them to a system Fonts folder, then you go into Acrobat and tell Fusion to load the fonts. It sweeps the system and loads whatever fonts are currently active, then you have to restart Acrobat and Fusion. It's a silly dance but hopefully you don't need to do it too often.

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, thanks, I have requested a demo.