Bootable clone of Windows machine - how?

Started by DCurry, July 22, 2009, 09:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Lovebee06 on July 31, 2009, 11:46:51 PMCan you explain briefly on what does a bootable clone of Windows machine is? I am looking forward for your next post.

It's another hard drive with an exact copy of your computers boot drive.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ratintrap

Slappy

A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Farabomb

Quote from: Lovebee06 on July 31, 2009, 11:46:51 PMCan you explain briefly on what does a bootable clone of Windows machine is? I am looking forward for your next post.

And I as well.

Sorry Dave, I can't do that.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

For my rip servers, I use Norton Ghost to make an exact backup and it has saved my ass. I would think, one could take the Ghosted copy and just load it onto another machine. It makes an exact clone of the hard drive and burns it to a bootable disk. Very slick. I lost a hard drive on the RIP, got the new hard drive, booted from my ghosted disk and was up and running in a couple hours, no tech support from the makers of the workflow required.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on September 25, 2009, 10:29:05 AMFor my rip servers, I use Norton Ghost to make an exact backup and it has saved my ass. I would think, one could take the Ghosted copy and just load it onto another machine. It makes an exact clone of the hard drive and burns it to a bootable disk. Very slick. I lost a hard drive on the RIP, got the new hard drive, booted from my ghosted disk and was up and running in a couple hours, no tech support from the makers of the workflow required.

You can but it's hit and miss. Different drivers cause problems as well as activation issues since the hardware is different. Its doable but not fun. Now if it were a Mac... :laugh:

tapdn

What did you edit there Joe? Looks the same to me. Don't tell me the Grammer Pigs are making you gun shy!  :rolleyes: :laugh:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Ear

Quote from: Joe on September 25, 2009, 10:36:06 AM
Quote from: Earendil on September 25, 2009, 10:29:05 AMFor my rip servers, I use Norton Ghost to make an exact backup and it has saved my ass. I would think, one could take the Ghosted copy and just load it onto another machine. It makes an exact clone of the hard drive and burns it to a bootable disk. Very slick. I lost a hard drive on the RIP, got the new hard drive, booted from my ghosted disk and was up and running in a couple hours, no tech support from the makers of the workflow required.

You can but it's hit and miss. Different drivers cause problems as well as activation issues since the hardware is different. Its doable but not fun. Now if it were a Mac... :laugh:

True. It works best if you run the Ghost with a clean machine. I ran mine upon completion of install and securing settings for screens, plate sizes, etc.. before doing more than a couple actual jobs. Fragmentation can cause huge problems with creating a clone. The nice thing about Ghost, is instead of a compressed copy, you can make a bit for bit version but again, fragmentation can cause issues. It's not perfect but it's inexpensive and has worked on my machines (fresh machines)

Now... if it were a Mac...  :laugh: :rolleyes:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: tapdn on September 25, 2009, 10:41:00 AMWhat did you edit there Joe? Looks the same to me. Don't tell me the Grammer Pigs are making you gun shy!  :rolleyes: :laugh:

I put the blue highlight in to show the part I was replying to but yes, you gotta be on your toes around here.

Ear

Quote from: Joe on September 25, 2009, 10:44:31 AM
Quote from: tapdn on September 25, 2009, 10:41:00 AMWhat did you edit there Joe? Looks the same to me. Don't tell me the Grammer Pigs are making you gun shy!  :rolleyes: :laugh:

I put the blue highlight in to show the part I was replying to but yes, you gotta be on your toes around here.

I like where you said "it's doable, but not fun". Pretty much covers anything on a Windows machine.

tapdn

:rolleyes: yep

...and you got to love Time Machine (though I haven't had to actually use it for back-up yet).
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on September 25, 2009, 10:49:15 AM

I like where you said "it's doable, but not fun". Pretty much covers anything on a Windows machine.

:laugh:

And prepress!

Ear

:grin: I've made backups of my Macs in the past but I have never actually had to use one. I let the Maytag Repair Man hold them offsite for me.

tapdn

Used a firewire external when my wife replaced her G4 with the intel mini. Worked like a charm as long as you know what files NOT to replace.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

gnubler

Quote from: Earendil on September 25, 2009, 10:49:15 AM

But fun enough to have a Windows 7 launch party.  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david