News:

Main Menu

laser diode replacemant

Started by tiger lil, June 03, 2010, 11:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiger lil

we have a screen 8100  plate rite, thermal plate recorder  has anyone changed a laser diode in unit  without service man? If so what problems might we have.

G_Town

Quote from: tiger lil on June 03, 2010, 11:06:42 AMwe have a screen 8100  plate rite, thermal plate recorder  has anyone changed a laser diode in unit  without service man? If so what problems might we have.

I brave but not that brave.

Stiv

Yeah, there's no way I'm going to do that . No way Jose.

tiger lil

I'm not going to do it myself, my boss wants to do it, he had replaced diode on film setter years ago and thinks he can fix this one. Screen used to send you the pages of service manual but now they won't do that, must need the money!!  If anyone knows where i can get a service manual that would do the trick.

Ear

I have an PT-R 8000. I have not changed the diode myself but have sat in on many a diode change, over the shoulder of the tech. There are a LOT of things I have done myself on that machine... changing a diode isn't one of them. First, you need a terminator plug to short the diode bank out so you don't fry them. Once you have one of these, the operation looks easy enough but I have seen the techs ruin a diode or two, at their own expense. It is a delicate process... if you do it yourself and mess something up, it's a minimum of the cost of the diode ($1200 range)... assuming you don't short out a board or bump the optics, then you're really in trouble. Is it possible, yes, is it worth the risk... IMO, no.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

G_Town

Quote from: tiger lil on June 03, 2010, 11:47:58 AMI'm not going to do it myself, my boss wants to do it, he had replaced diode on film setter years ago and thinks he can fix this one. Screen used to send you the pages of service manual but now they won't do that, must need the money!!  If anyone knows where i can get a service manual that would do the trick.

Did he actually replace the diode or was it just the laser unit?

tiger lil

yes, it was a laser diode, he did it a few times.
Thanks for the advice I gave boss the info and now he thinks he will call for service.
Thanks all!!!

Stiv

I change my mind - let 'em at it. Video it for YouTube.

David

even better...

hope there's sparks and everything, maybe even an explosion... or at least a loud pop.

it'll be the next viral video
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Well, it'd be a huge hit here, at least....     :laugh:  In fact it could go permanent, Home Page, looped!
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.