Server based video streaming

Started by David, May 30, 2013, 12:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

i had a gold account, but it just rolled back to regular. i dont use it much anyway.

i used to use the system video/audio player on the xbox, but as you know, its fucking combersome and hard to navigate. i gave up on that long ago.

im not streaming through any particular app. its upnp/dlna. i dont even touch the xbox, it just has to be on and on the network.

i have all my media sitting on that 2TB NAS running twonky.

i use the mediahome app to browse the twonky (via dlna, NOT shares).  When mediahome starts, it asks you to select the dlna server, and which device you want to output to - it will show the device its running on (nexus7) AND any other DLNA/upnp compatible devices on your network (xobx, smart tv, etc).  i select xbox for output

then you just use the tablet/app to browse your collection (provides thumbmnails based on file metadata).. you click and BAM! xbox starts playing it, no intervention, no app to start.. you can control the video through the tablet.  tv/xbox displays the video, tablet displays controls.

was really surprised how easy it works - give it a try, the app is free, and as long as you have some type of upnp/dlna server running, it will see it.

I have a mix of wma, mpeg4 and avi.. one of these days ill normalize it all, like i got time to do that.

DigiCorn

I tried once, and eventually gave up thinking that it was because all my shit was .mp4

one of my externals runs twonky, but i never tried to use that one.

thanks!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

delooch

i still havent been sucessful in finding a good app/format to encode to. shit, i cant even remember the name of the app im currently using. it works, but its slow and makes HUGE files if you want quality. 

i usually just take my chances with whatever the torrent delivers..  :wink:

DigiCorn

I hear handbrake is good, but I don't use it

I use DVDFab and I love it - it does everything
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Handbrake works fine for me. As usual, the faster the hardware the faster in encodes. It takes me about an hour to encode a movie on a mid-level PC running Windows 8.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mc hristel

I use Handbrake all the time. On my MacBook Pro it takes about a 1/2 hour to encode a full length movie going from DVD to .mp4 formatted to fit on my iPod. It is also able to reformat the files you already have (like converting that .avi to .mp4 or whatever). There are a number of presets, but you can go through and adjust quality, frame rate, sound, etc.

The big problem with Handbrake (at least on the Mac) is you need to download the codec files it uses and install them into the system folder manually. They used to pull them out of VLC until they changed how VLC decodes video which means it didn't need the codecs anymore.