Black in Placed PDFs converting to 4c

Started by Slappy, July 12, 2017, 10:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

This has got to be a basic ID Preference, but I've noticed recently that some PDFs that have 100% black (or are even completely Grayscale) when just Placed into a New InDesign doc are suddenly rich black. I had my "Appearance of Black" Prefs both set to Display Blacks Accurately, the other 2 people here had theirs set to "output all Blacks as Rich Black" which I find to be wrong. Not matter which option I change mine to - it's stil converting to builds.

Is there another setting, in Bridge or someplace, that would be causing this? I think it's the reason I've had some 4c jobs on press where the resulting PDF has stripped out ALL black, and has built it from CMY only which is a bad situation.

I can post up sample files if need be too,
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

mc hristel

Have you checked your settings under Edit > Color Settings in InDesign? I believe that's where the global color handling is set.

SpicyVindaloo

We've had that happen in the past when the new PDF from InDesign had everything tagged with an ICC profile and the RIP wasn't set up to convert it properly.

Slappy

Quote from: mc hristel on July 12, 2017, 11:03:47 AMHave you checked your settings under Edit > Color Settings in InDesign? I believe that's where the global color handling is set.
I have, this is what it's been since we got these Macs 6 months ago.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

Quote from: SpicyVindaloo on July 12, 2017, 11:10:57 AMWe've had that happen in the past when the new PDF from InDesign had everything tagged with an ICC profile and the RIP wasn't set up to convert it properly.
Except this appears to be happening locally, before it even gets to the RIP. Guess I can flush out the InDesign Prefs as a last resort, although I dread that.

Joe

What do you have in this setting of your PDF Job Options?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Same as you've shown. Here's the thing: As SOON as I place a "good" PDF it's instantly boned. Seps preview shows it as 4c build, exporting with the non-Profile Job options passes through that bad color space.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on July 12, 2017, 02:15:16 PMSame as you've shown. Here's the thing: As SOON as I place a "good" PDF it's instantly boned. Seps preview shows it as 4c build, exporting with the non-Profile Job options passes through that bad color space.

Hmmmm....just placed a good PDF in a new document here and viewed the seps and the black type was still black only.

Post one of the sample files and I'll try that.

And have you deleted your Indy prefs yet? Could be your prefs aren't saving when you tell it change the prefs to view and output blacks accurately.

David

Quote from: Slappy on July 12, 2017, 02:15:16 PMSame as you've shown. Here's the thing: As SOON as I place a "good" PDF it's instantly boned. Seps preview shows it as 4c build, exporting with the non-Profile Job options passes through that bad color space.
Do you have registration marks? Those are usually in cmyk
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

Quote from: david on July 12, 2017, 03:23:17 PM
Do you have registration marks? Those are usually in cmyk
Not one of the problem files. It's a literally 2 Letter PDFs placed into a tabloid page for the QM.

mattbeals

Send me the imposed pdf and source pdf?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

mattbeals

When I look at the black and white flyers using PitStop's ink dropper the inks show as being black only. Output Preview shows something different because of a conflict in the preview ICC profile.

The only RGB object is the photo in the upper left corner of the business card. Otherwise it looks like a preview problem, not an actual ICC conversion.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

I think I found the problem with the grayscale ones. :wink:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

mattbeals

Quote from: Joe on July 12, 2017, 05:31:59 PMI think I found the problem with the grayscale ones. :wink:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

Possible. But if you use the PitStop eye dropper mine showed up as device gray, not sRGB or device RGB.
Matt Beals

Joe

Yes but if you look at the bottom of Output Preview you see this:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

One of the 4C files Slappy sent me showed this:

[attachimg=2 width=400]

Running the Acrobat Preflight, Sheetfed offset (CMYK) (GWG 2015) fixed the color image and made the grayscale image worse when placing it back into InDesign.