News:

Main Menu

New iMac Pro

Started by Joe, June 08, 2017, 08:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Currently running XMF & Black Magic Clients on our new Retina iMacs. But still doing files incoming/PitStopping on our 4+ year old ones.
The wider company's IT guy oversaw the purchase, but I notice we've gone from a 1TB HD to a 500 GB one. I may have acquiesced and smiled to this at some point. It'll suffice but :shrug:  ... I thought things were supposed to get bigger. (no superfluous double entendres please...). It is Flash, after all.

But I do like the Retina display, and we have gone from 8 GB RAM to 16 GB. So not all bad.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on August 02, 2017, 07:49:40 PMCurrently running XMF & Black Magic Clients on our new Retina iMacs. But still doing files incoming/PitStopping on our 4+ year old ones.
The wider company's IT guy oversaw the purchase, but I notice we've gone from a 1TB HD to a 500 GB one. I may have acquiesced and smiled to this at some point. It'll suffice but :shrug:  ... I thought things were supposed to get bigger. (no superfluous double entendres please...). It is Flash, after all.

But I do like the Retina display, and we have gone from 8 GB RAM to 16 GB. So not all bad.

Fusion drive? The SSD part makes it worthwhile if it is.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on August 02, 2017, 09:24:18 PMFusion drive? The SSD part makes it worthwhile if it is.
Yep, pretty sure... our IT guy is a pretty personable type; I think we're big enough to get a 'corporate' contact there. 
AFAIK, they, off their own bat, suspended the order until the new drives came in. You may confirm this Joe.   :undecided:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Santa

Thats actually a full SSD.  Fusion drive would say..you guessed it Fusion Drive.

Fusion drives are part ssd and part traditional HD.  Opperating system and heavily used assests run on the ssd part and older files and lesser used stuff sits on the HD.  Gives you ssd like performance to a point without breaking the bank.  Your IT guy stepped up to the plate 512gb ssd is better than 1 TB fusion in my book as the ssd part of the fusion is small less the 50 gbs

Farabomb

I think of the Fusion drive as a HDD with a big honking buffer. It keeps often used files in the buffer to keep seek times low and parks the less used files on the platter. Personally, SSDs are cheap enough and you don't need a gigantic drive as long as there is a second bay or external drive.

$1600 for a large phone that doesn't make calls. Does it have a IR blaster so you can at least control your TV? I have 2 tablets next to the couch and I don't think they've been charged in at least a year.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yeah that is full blown SSD as Santa said. As long as you work your jobs from the server or an external shouldn't be a problem with 512 gb storage on the Mac. The Fusion is better than a traditional HD. My Mac starts up to the login screen in about 15 seconds. Mine at home with the traditional HD takes about a minute and a half.

Yeah the $1600 price priced me right out of it. I was actually looking for a replacement for my wife's Samsung tablet. It is getting outdated and was still on Lollipop. And she wouldn't have wanted the pencil and keyboard which are $99 each. And I wouldn't have sprung $59 for the case from Apple either when I can get one just as good on Amazon for about half the price. And I wouldn't have gotten 512 gb of storage but 64 gb. That takes it down to $899 + Apple Care. Instead I rooted her tablet and put Lineage OS 14.x on it (Android Nougat) so she will be using that that until further notice.

Farabomb

I may have to look up what options I have for my nexus 7 and my galaxy 10.2. I have a feeling it's slim to none. The galaxy is x86 and the nexus 7 is just old so I have a feeling development is dead on them. Hell, it's dead on both my phones. I need to upgrade soon.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Looks like CS6 is not compatible with Sierra
I may have to get CC for home :(

Tracy

Anybody know the requirements for Student Pricing of CC?
It's 19.99 per month
I'm willing to take a class for it!
I can't see paying 50/month for home.

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on August 07, 2017, 10:13:22 AMAnybody know the requirements for Student Pricing of CC?
It's 19.99 per month
I'm willing to take a class for it!
I can't see paying 50/month for home.

Student eligibility

To qualify for a student discount, you must be at least 13 years of age and enrolled in one of the following:
• University or college — accredited public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study*
• Primary or secondary school — accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction*
• Homeschool — defined by state homeschooling regulations

How do I purchase?

The best way to purchase is directly from Adobe through our website or by calling 800-585-0774. You can also find Adobe Student and Teacher Editions through many campus bookstores and other online retailers. See the "Online stores" section.

At checkout, you'll need to provide the name of your school and indicate whether you are a student, educator, or administrator.

What is proof of eligibility?

Use a school-issued email address: If you provide a school-issued email address during purchase you are instantly verified. (A school email address may include .edu, .k12, or other email domains sponsored by educational institutions.) If you do not have a school-issued email address or your email address cannot be verified, additional proof of eligibility may be requested after purchase.

Students and educators at accredited schools
Proof of eligibility must be a document issued by the institution with your name, institution name, and current date. Types of proof of enrollment include:
• School ID card
• Report card
• Transcript
• Tuition bill or statement

Homeschooled students†
Proof of eligibility may include:
• Dated copy of a letter of intent to homeschool
• Current membership ID to a homeschool association (for example, the Home School Legal Defense Association)
• Dated proof of purchase of curriculum for the current academic school year

Contact Adobe at 800-585-0774 if you are unclear about whether you qualify.

* Accredited schools are those that are approved by an association recognized by the U.S. Department of Education/State Board of Educationor the Canadian/Provincial Ministries of Education and that teach students as their primary focus. In the U.S., such associations include:Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Northwest Association of Accredited Schools.
† Documents dated within the last six months are considered current.

Tracy

Thanks Joe!
sheesh 2 years.
I got my original CS as a student, I only went to school for 1 year tho.

Joe

See my last PM and do that. :wink: