News:

Main Menu

Emergency Action Needed

Started by Slappy, November 20, 2018, 12:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I've got to impo a 164 pg file for plating 2nd shift, and the outside bindery needs a very specific type/amount of bleed in the gutters throughout. Basically I need just the footers of all the pages to extend .5418" and the bleeds to end there also. I tried modifying the baked-in action "Generate Bleed to 3mm if None and correctly set all page boxes" but it's not actually extending the items in the original PDF I need to bleed. The bounding boxes appear correct, so I must be close.

Anybody up for it?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

PrepressPrison

Is it something consistent that you could just drop another overlapping element in as a watermark to extend the existing element?

Slappy

Not really, the pages all have slightly different screens of color along the bottom edges. The only other option (I've done this a few times for similar books for the same client) is to manually build ALL of those color blocks in XMF, and it takes FOREVER.

I'm going to start that process now, in case the Action thing doesn't happen.  :shoots_self:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

Did you change your bleed box before running the action?
and apply it to all pages?
prolly but just throwing that out there.

Slappy

Guess I could try that, the Action as I have it makes the bonding boxes properly, it's just not extending the screened boxes out.

Annnnnnd as it happens, they've put the job on hold. For now. I need a fuckin' drink, can't wait until EOD tomorrow.

Tracy

Yes extend your bleed box before  you run the action
and under actions apply these page boxes to all pages.

sorry if you know all this already :laugh:

Joe

[attach width=400]19168[/attach]

You need to check those numbers. The number zero extends from the exact trimbox outwards.

A plus number moves inside the trim box that distance and extends outwards.

A minus number moves outside the trim box that distance and extends outwards.

So you need to maker sure the starting distance is overlapping where the contents ends just a small amount for it to be able to extend it.

For example if your bleed is set at .125" and you want to extend it to .5418 you would enter as your starting number -.124"
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on November 20, 2018, 02:14:30 PMYes extend your bleed box before  you run the action
and under actions apply these page boxes to all pages.

sorry if you know all this already :laugh:

You need to also extend the crop and media boxes as well.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Slappy

Thanks Joe! I'm still tweaking it, but it seems to be working. Now, if XMF doesn't freak out when I cram the new PDF into the Layout...