Need A Little Input...

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, April 03, 2009, 09:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on April 06, 2009, 12:02:43 PMYes, I do. I can remember many, many, many nights of stress and pressure and not knowing WTF I was doing...

Had a few of those last week!    :shocked:  but    :grin:  in the end.   Prolly a good thing most of you guys are ZZZzzz... when I'm sloggin'.  Just had to DIY it.     :laugh:   
The words "Fail Interpret" sometimes come to me in dreams now...usually flashing neon.    :huh:

...er, is this Off Topic?

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Captain_Type

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on April 03, 2009, 09:02:16 PMP.S. The guy is legit and NOT a homosexual.
What happens in prepress stays in prepress.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Lumpy

Yo D, maybe you could just set the guy up with some templates and he could use them to get started. Start him off slow, and maybe he'll pick alot of it up on his own.
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

delooch

not really the numbers youre looking for DCS, but one of my 'other' websites just posted this today:

http://survey.fresnodesignalliance.org/

not really training/prepress, but its accurate for as far as the local designers (freelance/agencies) in my area.

i think i need to step up my charges though cause i charge about half of whats posted here...

Foozball

DCS, I always figured for after-hours work you should charge DOUBLE whatever your regular job pays, so for teaching you'd have to go above that IMO.
I think Lumpy has a good idea there, Templates! Page layouts, standard ad formats, etc ...

As for "sharing the wealth" - yeah, I can feel that at the moment. I'm struggling - balancing the money I make with the masses of responsibility I have (Design/layout corrections, RIPing, pagination, platemaking), I have some days here where my paranoia will waste hours as I have to re-check my work.
About a month ago, the owner was "talking" about a new shiny car, and that aggravated me (which I admit is stupid!), but as we hear about "financial woes", if I had to see him with a new bi-annual Merc ... it would make for some "interesting" interactions! :death:

gnubler

Quote from: Captain_Type on April 07, 2009, 07:18:18 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on April 03, 2009, 09:02:16 PMP.S. The guy is legit and NOT a homosexual.
What happens in prepress stays in prepress.

Are you saying that homos are not "legit"? Explain yourself, sir. I might be a lesbian someday and this statement offends me because I'm totally legit.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Lumpy

I'm a lesbian trapped in a mans body.

Lumpy

Okay, that last remark might be a little off topic.

Foozball

(DAMN YOU Lumpy!!!)
... I was too slow! :angry:

gnubler

Quote from: Lumpy on April 07, 2009, 10:50:52 AMI'm a lesbian trapped in a mans body.

I know what you mean.  :afro:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: Foozball on April 07, 2009, 10:37:19 AMI have some days here where my paranoia will waste hours as I have to re-check my work.

My favourite bitch about The Morgue here...hate it. Isn't there an unwritten rule that if you are checking your own stuff, you'll inevitably miss something small-but-critical? Happened to me 2 weeks ago...    :sad:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Foozball

Quote from: frailer on April 07, 2009, 09:59:34 PM
Quote from: Foozball on April 07, 2009, 10:37:19 AMI have some days here where my paranoia will waste hours as I have to re-check my work.

My favourite bitch about The Morgue here...hate it. Isn't there an unwritten rule that if you are checking your own stuff, you'll inevitably miss something small-but-critical? Happened to me 2 weeks ago...    :sad:

Only person who even understands my work is my supervisor (great guy), but man I'd KILL to have someone to give my crap the "once over" ... without walking down to the office areas.
So far my mistake count is at 2 (re-printed jobs), in 11 months, but another 1 was acceptable by the client and another was "worked around" by the bindery. I'm happy about the low number, but some days there the pressure is ridiculous, I can TOTALLY understand how and why DCS likes being such a psycho!
The upside of flying solo is that complicated (logical) crap like Imposition, I'm getting REAL good at, I've been imposing everything manually (from my head) for most of this year. Sad thing is that I KNOW that knowledge will NEVER get passed on, it's gonna stay in my head forever, almost makes me wish someone would want to pay me $30/hr to teach them how to do it! :wink:

frailer

Foozball, didn't you confess you had access to Dynastrip? I understand it's the equivalent here of admitting to an infestation of bed-bugs; but mate, you should not be imposing manually if you have it.
Fer chrissakes PM me, and let's discuss getting you over the hump with it, like 2 mature adults.    :laugh:

Seriously...     :police:   We could set up a time, and use Chat as realtime instruction. Crude, but it would work...

DigitalCrapShoveler

I am a product of my environment. Prepress made me.
Member #285 - Civilian

Foozball

Quote from: frailer on April 13, 2009, 03:00:56 AMFoozball, didn't you confess you had access to Dynastrip? I understand it's the equivalent here of admitting to an infestation of bed-bugs; but mate, you should not be imposing manually if you have it.
Fer chrissakes PM me, and let's discuss getting you over the hump with it, like 2 mature adults.    :laugh:

Seriously...     :police:   We could set up a time, and use Chat as realtime instruction. Crude, but it would work...
Thanks Frailer, I'm gonna take you up on the help offer, but I'd rather do it through the Dynastrip forum (if you're ok with that?), I'd be interested to see how you impose a book with Dynastrip. I've had NO real guides, aside from what my predecessor does, and I have even surprised him a few times with things I have "found" buried in the program. (I'll PM you when I get time to start the new thread.)
As for the "shame" of using Dynastrip, if you could see half the stone-age stuff we run here, you'd laugh your ass off! Considering how small the operation is here, as long as things work efficiently, no-one breaks my balls (without cause) and I get paid, I'm not about to argue. :wink:

End of last week was just a caffeine driven blur of ripping/re-ripping pages, imposing, and making plates - in-time to keep up with the press operators. I still think I'm a "rookie" at this, so last week was my first real solo imposition work, with no previous work/s to use as a "guide". (Pressmen, bindery and manager were ALL happy with the final result! :grin:)
Sadly though, somewhere in that "blur" I had a conversation with my wife that I don't remember, ... man, did that cost me a few $$$!  :banghead: