Upgrade to imac and CS5 Help??

Started by prepressDog, June 29, 2011, 02:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

hey I heard you can buy memory from Apple - is that a good idea?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: t-pat on December 07, 2011, 04:47:24 PMhey I heard you can buy memory from Apple - is that a good idea?

HECTOR!!!!
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on December 07, 2011, 04:47:24 PMhey I heard you can buy memory from Apple - is that a good idea?

Only if you are a designer with more money than brains!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

NefariousDrO

Apple's prices for memory are rather high (To say the least) and don't seem any less likely to have problems than most other vendors'.

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on December 07, 2011, 04:32:56 PM
Quote from: Tracy on December 07, 2011, 02:42:13 PM
Quote from: frailer on December 06, 2011, 09:26:13 PMYou have nothing to fear but fear itself.  I think on a white  iMac, Joe had to do a major strip down to get RAM in... (suckers on display to lift it off, as I recall). he would not have sent you down that path.
Thanks! I'm gonna do it!
hope I can get the Snow Leopard!

Should I wait to buy the RAM after I get the computer?

Yeah, see what is in it. If it comes with 4 GB it will most likely have to two 2 GB chips in it which I think means you can either add two 2 GB chips to get you to 8 Gb or add two 4 GB chips to get you to 10. Or remove the two 2 GB chips and add in four 4 GB chips to get you to 16 GB. Or four 8 GB chips to get you to 32 GB (very expensive)  :laugh: .
There wasn't any other combination?
I keed :laugh:
Im going to stay with the 8gigs cuz of the heating issue with 16 I guess.
So I want all the same kind of RAM right?
so I may need to purchase all 8 gigs?

frailer

I think OWC have some sort of redemption thing going to send in your swap-out RAM. Or eBay/craiglist, which would be more bothersome.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on December 07, 2011, 07:48:33 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 07, 2011, 04:32:56 PM
Quote from: Tracy on December 07, 2011, 02:42:13 PM
Quote from: frailer on December 06, 2011, 09:26:13 PMYou have nothing to fear but fear itself.  I think on a white  iMac, Joe had to do a major strip down to get RAM in... (suckers on display to lift it off, as I recall). he would not have sent you down that path.
Thanks! I'm gonna do it!
hope I can get the Snow Leopard!

Should I wait to buy the RAM after I get the computer?

Yeah, see what is in it. If it comes with 4 GB it will most likely have to two 2 GB chips in it which I think means you can either add two 2 GB chips to get you to 8 Gb or add two 4 GB chips to get you to 10. Or remove the two 2 GB chips and add in four 4 GB chips to get you to 16 GB. Or four 8 GB chips to get you to 32 GB (very expensive)  :laugh: .
There wasn't any other combination?
I keed :laugh:
Im going to stay with the 8gigs cuz of the heating issue with 16 I guess.
So I want all the same kind of RAM right?
so I may need to purchase all 8 gigs?

I think the newer iMacs have 4 slots and if yours comes with 4 GB of ram I think it will have two 2 GB chips in it. You would only need to get two more 2 GB chips from OWC to get you to 8 GB. Have I mentioned not to buy the RAM from Apple? :laugh:

However, if by chance your iMac comes with only two slots, you would need to take the two 2 GB chips out and buy two 4 GB chips to put in it. I think all of the 27" iMacs these days have 4 slots though.

Tracy

Cool - I think I'm clear now
Thanks for all your help guys!

p.s. don't buy ram from apple! :wink:

David

pssss....   word on the street...

no apple ram, just FYI
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Don't buy RAM from Apple.

Or anything, if you can help it...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

So, what your saying is... don't buy ram from Apple?
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Some people say...don't buy ram from Apple.

That's what I heard, anyway (on the internet)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

NefariousDrO

But Uncle Stevie had some in the inner pocket of his trenchcoat at the Applestore that he said was the best!

Joe

NEWSFLASH: DO NOT BUY RAM FROM APPLE!!!