News:

Main Menu

Mac Email Client

Started by AaronH, October 10, 2018, 05:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Hey guys,

So in prepress here, we've been using a program called Spark for email because back in El Capitan or Yosemite, Mail stopped working for us. We've been using Exchange here at work for email and prepress only has one address, which both of us use. What was happening with Mail, was that Exchange at one point didn't support different colored Tags/Flags so we started using a different program, which doesn't end up using different tags anyway but eh... Spark has lately been putting emails from our web b2b print portal in spam but not consistently. Having missed a few jobs because of this, I'm tempted to go back to Mail as I don't remember Mail having this problem.

What do you guys do? Do you have multiple people using the same address?
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

Spam is a tough nut to crack and a lot of work but it is doable.

If an email ends up in spam you need to mark it as not spam and whitelist the domain where it came from. If the email is coming from your web b2b print portal you should just be able to whitelist the domain name of that server. But you need to whitelist it first in the email server. And then you need to train your email client that it isn't spam. In Apple Mail if Apple Mail marks it as spam all you have to do is select it and mark it as 'not spam'. Apple Mail will move it back to the Inbox and it learns along the way.

Eventually the email server and email client should learn how to do this but there is never a point in time when you can relax and think you don't have to keep after it.

We have 38 email accounts here and it is a bitch because #1, our users are too *&^$$ing lazy to keep up with it. It isn't the email server, the email client, or the spam that is the biggest problem. It is the users that refuse to put in the work.

/rant
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mc hristel

We have a generic "Prepress" e-mail address that get used mostly to relay job related information. Generally CSRs will send customer files, or links to customer files and that sort of thing there. We also have individual e-mail accounts we use on a more general basis. Say, if I am working on a job and have a question, or need to send off a 'proof is ready' notification I'd use my personal account so the recipient knows who worked on the job, or who to follow up with.

I believe our store front/ web portal orders go through a different workflow, and as such, use a different notification system.

Slappy

Our Dept all use Mail, we switched to Offiice365 recently for the whole shop's email handling, and the outside IT company tried to tell us we'd have to use Outlook on the Macs, but we put the brakes on that nonsense REAL fast. Our email chain is about the same as yours - CSRs send all jobs to single "catch-all" address that's forwarded to our individual emails in the design/prep dept since we never know who's going to work on a particular job. The worst part is the sheer volume, I regularly have several hundred unread emails a week so I just trash everything I didn't get to, under the assumption somebody else already has and if not, the CSR can re-send it.

I'd thought about a 3rd part app like Postbox, but don't feel the need to spend money on it since Mac Mail seems to be doing the job so dar. I also don't have much long-term conversations going through email, and I'm not archiving ancient message like the admins & sales folks do either.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Most of our users store all of their important emails in the email trash can. Yes I am serious.

wonderings

Spam used to be a big issue for us when our email was hosted by a small company that also hosts our website. They had no real filter and no real solution or plans on adding anything to fix this. Thankfully they discontinued providing email service (probably had tons of complains about the spam) and we were forced to look at other options for this. I opted for Google which has cleared away all our spam. Had a few issues with quote requests going to spam folder but had them marked as not spam and it has since been resolved. It was a bit complicated getting set up as I wanted POP accounts so me deleting email on my computer would not delete on the other 2 computers that might be dealing with it.

I like Apple Mail, my only complaint is that they no longer show the paper clip when there is an attachment in the email when using POP accounts. They have no solution and this has been around for years so I am assuming Apple does not think this is a problem big enough to fix.

Joe

Most people don't realize it but there are two areas of spam in each email account. The spam that is filtered by the email server and the spam that that the email client filters. I deal with this constantly as people say they didn't receive an email and I ask them to check their spam folder and of course they check the spam folder in the email client and it isn't there. Then you have to teach them how to check the spam folder on the email server and 99% of the time it is there. Then you have to teach them how to whitelist a domain or blacklist a domain on the email server and then you have to listen to them whine because it is so much work blah blah blah. Tomorrow do it all over again! :banghead:

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on October 10, 2018, 10:38:27 PMMost of our users store all of their important emails in the email trash can. Yes I am serious.
I believe it! couple of salesman here were using their trashcan as a folder
100 gigs of stuff in there!

some people have no concept of file management

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on October 11, 2018, 07:32:21 AMMost people don't realize it but there are two areas of spam in each email account. The spam that is filtered by the email server and the spam that that the email client filters. I deal with this constantly as people say they didn't receive
I use gmail for personal, and I HATE this feature. The android Gmail app on my phone will ONLY tell me if I have an email that wasn't filtered. ANY email that is filtered, right or wrong, is not worthy of notifying me, which is both nice and not nice, depending on whether you are waiting for something important or not. I like that all the "ads," like Nero, and promotional stuff, like from hulu, netflix, etc. go into a folder and don't notify me, but once in a while the wife will ask me if I got this or that from the kid's schools and the answer is always NO because I don't always check the subfolders.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on October 10, 2018, 06:32:31 PMIf an email ends up in spam you need to mark it as not spam and whitelist the domain where it came from. If the email is coming from your web b2b print portal you should just be able to whitelist the domain name of that server. But you need to whitelist it first in the email server. And then you need to train your email client that it isn't spam. In Apple Mail if Apple Mail marks it as spam all you have to do is select it and mark it as 'not spam'. Apple Mail will move it back to the Inbox and it learns along the way.

That's a good point. I just figured out how to whitelist on office365.com. Hopefully that helps. What doesn't is Exchange has a Junk folder and a Clutter folder.   :banghead:
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

I need a "Piece of Crap' folder. It would be overflowing everyday.