Restoring outlook emails from a backup

Started by andyfest, September 05, 2012, 05:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

To start with I know little about any Windows OS, but I have a friend in need so I thought I'd ask. My buddy just got laid off and his Windows 7 laptop was taken back by the company. He does have a backup that he did, and wants to somehow retrieve his email messages from Outlook. Is there a folder like on a Mac Mail program that contains all of the messages? If it can be restored to another Win7 box, can a script be exported so he could import the messages to his iMac at home, which also runs Outlook? Thanks in advance for any assistance. This guy can use a break.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

What kind of archive? If he can get to the files okay inside the archive look in something like "Users/~/appdata/Microsoft/... where ~ = his user name and "..." =  a folder under Microsoft which I'm not 100% sure what the name of that folder is but they are in that general location. You should be able to import them into his current email program like Live Mail or Outlook from that location.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

It looks like he used the Backup Wizard on Win7 to do a backup of his laptop. It appears on the USB as a folder contains a bunch of zip'd archives. I'm guessing that he will need to access another Win7 machine to at least recover or restore the backup, but I'm not really sure what the options are with Windows. I would think that the Outlook app will be licensed, so if restored, he will not likely be able to use it to export a script. I was just wondering if there was any other way of transferring the messages to his iMac Outlook program.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

If he can pull the old email out of the archive he should be able to import it into Outlook on the Mac. He will need a windows 7 backup machine to extract the files out of the archive.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.