News:

Main Menu

Windows 10 hanging

Started by DigiCorn, February 07, 2021, 02:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I have an issue at home on one of my Windows 10 machines. This one happens to be an AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core 2.10Ghz with 8gb RAM 64-bit. It appears, so far, that it ONLY hangs on internet and NOT on games or other apps. I have Google Chrome AND MS Edge, and it appears to hang more on Chrome and less on Edge, but does hang on both. By *hang,* I mean it just totally locks up and stops functioning for several minutes, usually resulting in a 2nd window stating, "Page Unresponsive." I've pretty much attempted every internet fix short of doing a Win10 reset. It happened just now typing this message for 3-4 minutes

During the *hang,* for lack of a better term, I can still access other Windows 10 functions... if Chrome hangs, I can still browse on Edge, and vice-versa. I can still play music, or games, or access features like the calculator, etc. It's super annoying, and I'd like to fix it without resorting to the reset. I've run Malwarebyters, Windows Defender, Stinger, etc. and come up blank. I did do an Event Viewer and found a recurring problematic event, schannel error 36871, but it also does hang in the Event Viewer. I have taken every step imaginable to eliminate this issue, including Registry level adjustments, and for 48 hours there have been no schannel errors, but it still hangs.

It *may* be an MS Windows security 5379 error, but event viewer doesn't show this as a catastrophic error. Any ideas?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Try quitting Chrome and renaming your "Default" Chrome profile to "Default_OLD". Restart Chrome and it will create a new profile and see if that helps. If it still tries to use the "Default_OLD" you may need to move it out of that location to your desktop maybe and then try it again. You will lose any customizations and extensions this way but it should give you a clean fresh install of Chrome. It is located at "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default".
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I actually did that previously (before my post) and it resolved the issue for about 30 minutes). Luckily, with Chrome sync'd once you log back in, it repopulates all your extensions and favorites and whatnot.

What I did not try was unsync'ing it and seeing if it runs better that way. But since it affects Edge and some other MS system tools, probably not. I also did do a clean removal of Chrome, complete shutdown and reinstallation from scratch on Chrome with no luck. I believe it to be a Windows 10 issue with my particular processor because I don't have issues on my other Windows 10 boxes/laptops.

I did read a thing that said TLS 1.0 was to blame, so I turned off TLS 1.0, 1.1 and SSL but still no resolve.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Chrome has had a rough couple of weeks concerning security issues. One of which is syncing.

Chrome users have faced 3 security concerns over the past 24 hours

Microsoft Edge is built from Chrome now but not sure if that is related.

One of the Windows reset options is to re-install and keep your files and applications. That could possibly bring the issue back with it though. The next option for me would be a reset of Win 10 and start over.

Your CPU is over 12 years old though so that could be part of the issue as well.

DigiCorn

I knew about the reset... I just didn't want to do it. I have a lot of games to reinstall to do it the right way. I mean a lot... hundreds if not a thousand or more. I do have it all backed up in multiple locations. And then there's the whole reconfiguration of Maximus Arcade and Daphne and all my emulator software, which is just time consuming, even if I backup the config files for all the customizations I've added.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

I'm making a list of programs I need to reinstall after the full reset, and I stumble across iTunes. 10 years ago I made the full-on commit to be in bed with iTunes forever; I ripped over 1,200 cds into Apple lossless format and organized into iTunes libraries and playlists. I spent the better part of a year whittling down duplicates and weeding out bad files on this machine, and I would really hate to lose all that work. Is there any way to backup my iTunes library so as to re-import it seamlessly? The music files are actually stored on my Seagate PersonalCloud RAID but all the organization was done on this machine I am about to wipe clean. We're literally talking about over 16,000 music files I would have to re-sort.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

I may or may not have figured out the iTunes thing. I initiated a process that has been going on for some time now, but hasn't really done anything of value yet... but I have instructions I am following. I have several gig to backup, so it's going slow with the hangs and all. I dove deep into the event viewer and it seems as though XBox game bar was causing some issues, as was Steam. My computer was off tonight when I came into the bar, but I don't really ever shut this machine down - it's pretty much always on, so I can't remember if I actually shut it down last night in a drunken haze, or if it shut down on it's own - but I couldn't find an event to back up the latter. Anyway, it's supposedly prepping 225gb of music data and backing up 30gb of game data to my Seagate PersonalCloud, and I'm hoping it doesn't shut down in the middle; It would seem it has several hours to go. All I can say it's a major pain in my ass right now - I have so much shit going on I don't know which way is up - I'll elaborate more on that later when it's not midnight.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Lovely. Now it looks like I have a whole new problem. The past 3 days the unexpected shutdowns were the result of an overheating error. I chased this problem down last year and discovered it to be the CPU fan. Unlikely that it's the same issue again since it's new parts, but if it is, then it's a board level problem. I am starting to think again about replacing my current in-house computer with a new one, and moving my current out to the bar and junking that old trouble maker (that has served me well for many years).
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 09, 2021, 11:47:00 AM
Lovely. Now it looks like I have a whole new problem. The past 3 days the unexpected shutdowns were the result of an overheating error. I chased this problem down last year and discovered it to be the CPU fan. Unlikely that it's the same issue again since it's new parts, but if it is, then it's a board level problem. I am starting to think again about replacing my current in-house computer with a new one, and moving my current out to the bar and junking that old trouble maker (that has served me well for many years).

It could be the paste under the CPU has deteriorated over the years. I'd pull the CPU fan and CPU and put new thermal paste and reseat the CPU. As long as the CPU fan is still working I would keep it.

gnubler

You mean this guy? (He's only worked in printing for a year, but that's long enough to know he's doomed)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on February 09, 2021, 11:39:25 PM
You mean this guy? (He's only worked in printing for a year, but that's long enough to know he's doomed)

What have I told you of posting pictures of me during my sad times? >:(

DigiCorn

I put new paste on the CPU last April.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on February 10, 2021, 09:36:21 AM
Quote from: gnubler on February 09, 2021, 11:39:25 PM

What have I told you of posting pictures of me during my sad times? >:(

I had no idea your eyebrows were so bushy. Must be the tiger in you?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I'm pretty sure the tiger in me got up and left.