Fonts as Zero Bytes on SMB Share

Started by AaronH, November 25, 2019, 01:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottrsimons

I don't exactly remember what SMB version we are using, as I fought through getting it setup correctly. And yes our PS type 1 fonts do show zero kb on the NAS, but still work and show the correct size when copied back to the Mac. I guess that is why I haven't noticed yet, as no one has yelled at me for the issue.

Don't worry though, in a couple of years we won't have PS type 1 fonts that will work anyways. And there will no longer be any print, as everything will be digital. Or at least that is how all the designs coming in seem to be.  :sarcasm:
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Good to know they are working the same for you that they are me.

Synology is wanting me to install Wireshark on my Mac and do some packet captures to send to them and I'm like wut???? Are you crazy? This isn't rocket science. Cop;y some damn fonts to the NAS and look at them. You don't need packet captures for that. Just eyeballs.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

scottrsimons

Synology is too new of a company to know of the blackmagic we have had to deal with, when it comes to older Mac files. Especially PS type 1 fonts. Anything that was designed for System 9 and before, was great for then, but working on current systems not so much.

Joe

Bought 6 new Seagate Enterprise drives for this thing. One of them is reporting errors today.  :death:

scottrsimons

We used to use Seagate Archive drives in our, and had errors quite often even though the drives were OK. The switched to Seagate IronWolf drives and haven't had any problems. So once one old drive acts up, we immediately replace with IronWolf, and they've been solid in our Synologys.

Joe

I looked at them but I only wanted 2 TB drives and the Ironwolf 2 TB drives are only 5900 RPM. I didn't want to get below 7200 RPM and the first Ironwolf drive that is 7200 RPM is the 6 TB one and it runs $231 a piece. I've always used the Seagate Enterprise drives in our NAS units and have had pretty good luck with them. Luckily I'm still under 30 days since purchased on Amazon so I should be able to get a replacement.

scottrsimons

Don't forget the IronWolf drives also come with 5 year warranty. I've had to use it once or twice. Very nice indeed (no I'm not looking for a job either  :cane: ).

Joe

Wave hello to the Synology support team who referred me to my own lengthy post previously in this thread.

:facepalm:

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

Quote from: Joe on April 22, 2021, 12:43:08 PM
Wave hello to the Synology support team who referred me to my own lengthy post previously in this thread.

:facepalm:

you are apparently a very popular guy...

:banana: :banana:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

If you have several days, and nothing better to do, copy all the fonts to a Mac. Then copy them back to the NAS using the AFP. Should have the display with correct size instead of 0.

Does anyone know how to author a script for Windows that can remove "-1" from a filename in tens of thousands of folders and subfolders?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 23, 2021, 02:17:20 AM
If you have several days, and nothing better to do, copy all the fonts to a Mac. Then copy them back to the NAS using the AFP. Should have the display with correct size instead of 0.

Does anyone know how to author a script for Windows that can remove "-1" from a filename in tens of thousands of folders and subfolders?

Yes I tested AFP and it works but we are not going to use AFP. It has been deprecated since 2014 and they have finally removed it from Big Sur. Use it now and pay a price later.

Even though the fonts show zero KB they are not hosed. I can install them from the NAS drive and they work. I can copy them back to the Mac and they show the correct size. My concern right now is what happens when I do a backup form the NAS to an external hard drive? Are they still showing zero and useable? Or are they really zero and at that point and hosed? The concern comes from the fact that if you download them from the NAS to the Mac with the built in File Station file manager the files actually become zero kb and are hosed. Haven't tried a backup yet to see what happens. It would be nice if they could figure out a way for it to just work. It would also be nice if we could just throw every postscript type 1 font in the trash, empty the trash, and move on.

Tracy

Digi, why does your files have -1?
curious because my fix probably won't help
select all right click rename? put the -1 and then nothing in the other field

Joe

He said for Windows though. But I'm sure there are some freeware renaming programs on Windows (Bulk Rename Utility) that would do it. You can do it from the Windows COMMAND line or using POWERSHELL too.

Tracy