News:

Main Menu

Thunderbird

Started by DigiCorn, July 19, 2011, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Got this error this morning when moving an email to an archive folder. I think it means I've stored too many archived emails and the server is full, but not certain. Do I need to get my email host on the phone and allot more space or is this another issue?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

The Archive folder is a local mailbox on your computer? Check the size of the mailbox file. I think there is a 2 gb size limit.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Of course if you are using iMap the Archive folder might be on the server where they have you on a quota. The quota would be all of your email folders on the server.

Joe

And last but not least. Do you have your email set to delete emails from the server? I have ours set up to delete the mail from the server after 1 week. That way when some one deletes an important email they have a week to get the copy from the server. But if you are setup to never delete the email from the server it will get full pretty quickly.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on July 19, 2011, 09:35:28 AMI have ours set up to delete the mail from the server after 1 week.

Ditto, but I think mine's 2 weeks. No reason to keep mail *out there* indefinitely and it will eventually exceed your space quota.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Yea, that's why my brother has emails from 5 years ago still on his computer. Even better he keeps some that he wants in the deleted folder.  :huh:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I thought I had it set up to download all mail from the server and store locally... but we switched email hosts a few months ago, and I no longer have access to web log in for the server folder settings - he's paying some dezinger to host it, and there's been issues on this one email address ever since - it's never worked right. The boss hasn't paid him, and the guy just had a new baby and you can never get a hold of him anyway. I was asked not to contact him, because the boss doesn't want to generate a bill. The one thing I noticed is that on my Mac, where it works perfectly, it's set up as POP... but on Windows, where there's problems, it's IMAP and it won't let me change it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 19, 2011, 10:08:29 AMand the guy just had a new baby

I knew most dezingers were metrosexual w/ thick black frame eyeglasses, but this is ridiculous. Now they're reproducing?

They are mutant life forms and must be destroyed.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 19, 2011, 10:08:29 AMI thought I had it set up to download all mail from the server and store locally... but we switched email hosts a few months ago, and I no longer have access to web log in for the server folder settings - he's paying some dezinger to host it, and there's been issues on this one email address ever since - it's never worked right. The boss hasn't paid him, and the guy just had a new baby and you can never get a hold of him anyway. I was asked not to contact him, because the boss doesn't want to generate a bill. The one thing I noticed is that on my Mac, where it works perfectly, it's set up as POP... but on Windows, where there's problems, it's IMAP and it won't let me change it.

Try deleting the account on your windows email program and re-create it as POP3. iMap takes a lot more resources on the email server and on my shared hosting my host was not pleased when I had about 40 iMap accounts active all at once. They threatened to cancel us. :laugh:

DigiCorn

Joe,

Actually I've done that previously, and ran into the same issues.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

So what's the differences between IMAP and POP?

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on July 19, 2011, 10:51:13 AMSo what's the differences between IMAP and POP?
POP service:

POP was designed for, and works best in, the situation where you use only a single desktop computer.

Normally, messages are downloaded to your desktop computer and then deleted from the mail server.

If you choose to work with your POP mail on more than one machine, you may have trouble with email messages getting downloaded on one machine that you need to work with on another machine; for example, you may need a message at work that was downloaded to your machine at home.

Your archive of mail, if you have one, is kept on your desktop computer - you generally need little storage space on the mail server.

IMAP service:

IMAP is designed for the situation where you need to work with your email from multiple computers, such as your workstation at work, your desktop computer at home, or a laptop computer while traveling.

Messages are displayed on your local computer but are kept and stored on the mail server -you can work with all your mail, old and new, from any computer connected to the internet.

You can create subfolders on the mail server to organize the mail you want to keep.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 19, 2011, 10:47:40 AMJoe,

What Windows email client is acting like an idiot?

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on July 19, 2011, 11:13:25 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on July 19, 2011, 10:47:40 AMJoe,

What? Windows email client is acting like an idiot?
I'm guessing  that's what you meant.

I am emailing our host anyway and telling him to double storage capacity.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

No, I meant "What Windows email client is acting like an idiot?". There really is no reason it won't let you create a POP3 account. So what is the Windows email client you are trying to do this with?