Photo collage help

Started by jimking, November 19, 2009, 08:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

Joe, or anyone who knows the subject, can advice on this issue I posted elsewhere and got very little feed back in which it might not be required because I'm ignorant.  :laugh:

"As many of you know, I'm a printer-prepress person so this thread is to gather info for my boss's client. Here's the question from the client:

"I'm the Webmaster for the WDCGA and we have a photos section on our site, we currently just link to Shutterfly so members can print their own. However, we have been spending the past year digitizing our scrapbooks from each each - we have some from the 30's as you can see in our photo section.

Here's my issue, we have scanned in many other years and instead of linking them to shutterfly, I want to display them more like a scrapbook so users can page through them on the site - and I need it to have zoom capability so that the older newspaper articles can be read. All the pages are .jpgs.

Do you have any recommendations? I've come across several on-line but it's hard to sort through which is the better and easier to use product."

The impression I received was it shouldn't be too costly or over complicated.  Any thoughts, thanks."

The only answer I received, (I'm sure is the correct one, the route I would take but not a tight client) is:

"Well you can layout this in InDesign Cs4 and export it to a Flash file, then you can zoom in by adding some tools in Flash later on. There would a page transition and you can choose to have the page flip like a book.

The only issue I see with this is that you have to have the jpeg images high enough quality so that they're either legible at the size in the Flash file or that when you zoom in you can read them. But this will add the file size and the length of time to download/stream the flash file.

The other way you could do it is to split the scrapbook up into manageable indesign files, and combine them in a book panel. You could make individual flash files for certain sections like "The 1930's" and so on.

You could then also offer a complete scrapbook to download and view on their own computer.

Pretty straight forward and shouldn't be too hard to implement.

The flash file could be presented on their website no problems."

The client has now emailed us info on a program they are looking close at. Is anyone familier with this program? And if so, what do you think and what advice? http://page-flip.com/about/

Thanks all!

David

Indesign CS4 has the page flip thingie built in.
All you need to do is build you file, got to the page palette, select the fly out menu, go to page transitions/choose/page flip.
It will need to be saved as a .swf file, works like a champ, and if you already have CS4, it's free.

HTH,
David
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

Quote from: david on November 19, 2009, 09:07:32 AMIndesign CS4 has the page flip thingie built in.
All you need to do is build you file, got to the page palette, select the fly out menu, go to page transitions/choose/page flip.
It will need to be saved as a .swf file, works like a champ, and if you already have CS4, it's free.

HTH,
David

thanks david! i just happened to be looking for something to do this!

jimking

Thanks all. Joe, I'm sure those freebies will be the clincher.