Strange problem in PDF File

Started by metlife, June 13, 2018, 06:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metlife

Hello all
I have a strange problem with this pdf file linked below. I can not do anything with the text object. At Pitstop I can not convert it into outlines, I can not remap it to another font. Only after saving the file to .eps and then to PDF using Distiller makes that the text can be edited and I can do with it whatever I want. Can you help me with what is wrong with this file and possibly what should I tell to the Client what He have to change when He generate files? Is the font coding problem?
Is it possible to change the font encoding directly in the PDF file?

Best regards and thank you in advance for your help.

Tracy

Looks like it was created in something called PreS Connect
I placed it in InDesign and reoutput a pdf and then it was editable, you don't need to distill it.
To me it's a bad pdf, do you get a lot of pdfs like this?

Heads up there is a black line at the top that is barely visible.
you can use the edit object tool select the text and edit object and it looks like illustrator
will outline the fonts when it opens it.

DigiCorn

Using basic Acrobat DC tools (preflight), I could change the size of the text, recolor the text, add additional text and convert the text to outlines. I could not edit the existing text without doing what the two of you mentioned, however.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, strange, export from InDesign, all ok.

Like the original is coated with protection, like a condom.

pspdfppdfxhd

Joe

I can edit it without changing to .eps or making a new PDF from InDesign. Sort of...if I use my Pitstop selection tool and draw a box around the type it shows this:

[attach width=500]18715[/attach]

It looks like a small image is selected but it is all of the text. I can change it from RGB to K=100% after that but Pitstop still won't let me remap the font but Acrobat DC will with the "Edit PDF" by selecting the text box and doing "Select All" which looks like the text isn't selected but it is and shows the point size as 9.94. If I change it to 10 pt via the dropdown then it can be selected normally and then change the font and then change it back to 9.94 pt.

It is a weird PDF. Not sure what purpose the black line at the edge of the document serves unless it is a sheet guide of some sort.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

It's a rib, like a ribbed condom.

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

scottrsimons

Quote from: Tracy on June 13, 2018, 08:00:49 AMLooks like it was created in something called PreS Connect

And from what I can find, it looks like that software is made to create a type of variable communication, which would make sense that the fonts are a bit funky. Here's a link to their website: PreS Connect.

I like the tag line from the company. "Objectif Lune develops simple, effective and enjoyable software helping companies communicate better with their customers."

I can't remember the last time I used an enjoyable piece of software, thank you Objectif Lune. :sarcasm:
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Tracy

:laugh: don't think metlife is enjoying it either

frailer

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on June 13, 2018, 09:27:50 AMIt's a rib, like a ribbed condom.

You're not about to let this theme rest, pspdf...  :undecided:    :hello:

By all means, keep it up, though...   :grin:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

metlife

Quote from: Joe on June 13, 2018, 09:15:10 AMI can edit it without changing to .eps or making a new PDF from InDesign. Sort of...if I use my Pitstop selection tool and draw a box around the type it shows this:

[attach width=500]18715[/attach]

It looks like a small image is selected but it is all of the text. I can change it from RGB to K=100% after that but Pitstop still won't let me remap the font but Acrobat DC will with the "Edit PDF" by selecting the text box and doing "Select All" which looks like the text isn't selected but it is and shows the point size as 9.94. If I change it to 10 pt via the dropdown then it can be selected normally and then change the font and then change it back to 9.94 pt.

It is a weird PDF. Not sure what purpose the black line at the edge of the document serves unless it is a sheet guide of some sort.

Joe, that's what I have to face. The text edited in the Pitstop behaves like a picture. The line at the top is placed specifically to see if the file breaks because of it. In my opinion, the problem is font coding. Yes, I could repair such a file and this is not a problem. The problem is that these files will be a minimum of 100 with a total of about 700,000 pages. My computer will convert it all day by blocking my Pitstop, and I have something to do in the meantime. Here we have only a test file, while the target files that contain personalization and when it comes to editing in Acrobat, lines of text spoil when you try to edit in such a way that one overlaps the other and the text becomes unreadable. Therefore, I must tell the client to change the settings when generating files from their application, but I do not really know what else they could change except for the font coding. I am waiting for a test file in which They try to set another font encoding, but I have not received anything from them yet.

Joe

Well first it might help if we knew how they were creating the PDF's and what settings they use. This PReS Connect they are using probably generates the PDF in some fashion. Are all the PDF's you will be receiving just text like the sample you posted? Ask them if PReS Connect can make either PDF X-1a or PDF X-4a PDF and send you a test file made with it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

See four screen grabs - The fonts are CID with a custom encoding. Tell the client to use Unicode or ANSI coding instead.

Here's a link to a similar issue on the topic..

http://www.toughdev.com/content/2015/02/restoring-text-from-pdf-files-encoded-using-custom-cid-fonts/
QuoteWhile using CID fonts can have many advantages, especially when displaying Eastern language text, in this case I believe it was purely a deliberate attempt to make copying text from the document a hassle, as most reader applications would just copy the original encoded characters, resulting in garbled text being pasted.

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley