Recalcitrant Helvetica

Started by frailer, June 03, 2015, 05:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Yeah, that's a pre-surgery version. I'll put the 'fixed' one on link ASAP.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

It's not as bad your screen shot. I just see the one line...which still isn't good.

Flattening is evil. Why was it flattened to start with?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Aha, flattening. Is that first one with the dodgy font already Flattened? If so, I'm outs the frame.

When I Optimised it I specifically chose unchecked/retain Transparency, so am claiming the Shaggy Defence on that one.

If you could confirm that... what's the easiest way to ascertain that status on incoming?

... am suspecting older Illy, perhaps.

Screenshot.... PDF 1.3

Joe

Yes they are both version 1.3 PDF's and all 1.3 PDF's are flattened. Find the person that did it. Shoot them! :shoots_self:

frailer

Dammit ya beat me to it.  :laugh:

... and thanks. The crosshairs have moved slowly away from my head.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on June 04, 2015, 07:59:03 PMIf you could confirm that... what's the easiest way to ascertain that status on incoming?

Have your PDF preflight check for PDF version 1.3. 1.3 = flattened. But you could get a higher version PDF that some dummy flattened manually as well. :hangme: Flattening is what causes the Atomic Region lines but Atomic Region lines usually do not show up when printed. I have seen it happen but not often.

frailer

Yeah, I told a similar story here, FWIW.

Startled kangaroo response, more or less.

Made in Taiwan

The Futura fonts are used for the informations in the lower part of the proof, but they won't show up in the preflight as non-embedded. Other font issues are just like Joe said the Helvetica Compressed (behind the word "Design") and the phantom numbers you've described above already.
My old Acrobat 8 as well as Acrobat Reader DC don't show any atomic region lines.

XMF doesn't proceed with the file if fonts are not embedded? That's kinda cool, might save you some trouble...

Edit: This post took way too long to upload... It was supposed to be somewhat the last one on page 1... Never mind.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Joe

Quote from: Made in Taiwan on June 04, 2015, 09:31:43 PMThe Futura fonts are used for the informations in the lower part of the proof, but they won't show up in the preflight as non-embedded. Other font issues are just like Joe said the Helvetica Compressed (behind the word "Design") and the phantom numbers you've described above already.
My old Acrobat 8 as well as Acrobat Reader DC don't show any atomic region lines.

XMF doesn't proceed with the file if fonts are not embedded? That's kinda cool, might save you some trouble...

Prinergy stops at unembedded fonts. Of course you can turn that off so it will proceed but we don't do that. We want it to fail if the fonts aren't embedded.

Farabomb

Same here. I don't care if it's outside of the work, if the font is not embedded, it fails. No tickie, no shirtie.

I remember the times when fonts would cause nightmares. Those were not good times.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

pspdfppdfxhd

Only problem here.... the lines like on the screenshot on the Harlequin rip.

What happens if you rasterize it in Photoshop?

pspdfppdfxhd

nevermind, tried it myself in photoshop and the lines are there too. :drunk3:

Ear

The lines are because of flattening/pre PDF v1.4. I have seen it plenty of times with a postscript stage... especially where drop shadows and spot to process conversions are present.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black