UV ctp and pl;ates

Started by beermonster, May 03, 2011, 12:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

fellow trench fighters - unite and discuss

i got a gig ioverseeing the installation of ctp at a local packaging company. they've already done research and have a system narrowed down, and their prepresser has decided to leave - hence me getting the call. 2 x komori 6 colour UV presses - B1.

they've almost decided on an agfa system which i think uses the energy elite plates - i don't know what the ctp unit is though.

so - in box number one:

is that plate any good? any issues - anything at all?

box 2:

what alternatives do i have to that plate as it uses dev etc and isn't too "green". it must be a UV compatible plate. i'd prefer a chem free set up - greener, lower maintenance, easier maintenance etc - what's my options? will consider other vendors plates

box 3:

2 presses - best to profile the presses and proof to that or get presses to match proofs - i think they have some kind of kodak proof system

info is sketchy i know - i only got the call last week and i'm due to head back in sometime this week to get more information and spend some time there. anthing i've missed? having been out of prepress in packaging for a year if i've missed anything lemme know!
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Joe

Box 3. IMO you would be better off to fingerprint the 2 presses to the proofer. But the proofer should be set up to some type of standard, ie...SWOP, Gracol, G7 or whatever.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

I'm headed to PrintEx here, Sydney, tomorrow, to try and see Pro-V (Fuji) chem-free plates spit out, and ask questions. I'm fed up with cleaning alkaline (read 'barnacles' on some rollers), tanks, even though it's only every 6 weeks...I hate it.
I'll ask about UV compatibility for you.

Shall PM you a link, the only thing you've really missed, TBH.   :evil:    Great to see that cat again... she's evil. Like the girl in The Blues Bros.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

Box 3: We went the other way at the suggestion of Kodak. Run a test form up to density and your standard running conditions and Kodak makes a profile so the proofer matches the press. Now was this in our best interest or Kodak's I'm still not sure. At the time we had one press so maybe it was the way to go but after Kodak found out we were not going to use their proofing paper they said they can't guarantee the proofs would match. We have now changed almost everything and I'm using the same profile and we are amazingly close. Your mileage may vary.

We use the Fuji LH-PJ right now with minimal issue and I know from the salesman that he has the same plate at UV places with little issue. I inquired about the chemical-less plate (think it's the one Frailer is talking about) and he told me it's not the best fit for our shop. I'm quite interested in what Frailer finds out at the show.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

beermonster

cheers mate - yeah i'm sure frailer will come up with the goods- or we wont bung another shrimp on the barbie maaaayyyt!

i did have a squizz at fuji plates - not sure how the land lies with me possibly changing their agfa deal coz i was liking the chem free idea after using azura chem free plates - but basically i hate dev baths!

i need more info when i go back in anyway, and the agfa techs were awesome when i used em before

frailer

My attendance at PrintEx delayed until tomorrow [Thurs].  Best laid plans of mice and...

Yeah, have had a few good 'shrimps' lately.    :grin:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Farabomb

With my gout I'm not supposed to eat shrimp. I'm also not supposed to drink beer but fat chance of that.

I hear really good things about the Azura TS plate and if we do make a change again it will probably to that plate. I have Pittman (owned by AGFA now) in my backyard and they come sniffing every 6 months with promises of price matching. We haven't had a reason to switch yet and Fuji really takes care of us so they have our loyalty right now.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

dledbetter

+1 for the Azura TS plates you do have to clean a gumming unit.... but much easier to deal with than LapV :puke:

DigiCorn

Quote from: dledbetter on May 04, 2011, 11:51:15 AM+1 for the Azura TS plates you do have to clean a gumming unit.... but much easier to deal with than LapV :puke:
Can't sing the praises of the Azura TS enough. You can have this thing spotless, 1-man, in about 2 hours... that's including removing all the rollers and scrub brushes. Just cleaned ours yesterday afternoon.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

You did all that? Just one guy? I hope you rewarded yourself afterward with a session of online poker or a crossword puzzle.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

he did that while he was doing the cleaning... he's badass
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

He said "1-man"...who was he referring to?  :laugh: Prolly his intern who runs around doing shit work while The Corn does "research" online.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

you're right, it is a one man job
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Well beer, short answer. Fuji Pro-Vs good for UV. Proviso being shorter run-life. On, say, a 200,000 run-life, you'd be looking at 70,000 instead, conservatively.
Same most likely applies across other vendors/plate types. Some may query this, of course.
Got the spiel on Fujifilm's Lo-chem processor, which processes the Pro-V. I can't wait to give the old high-alkaline the flick. You shouldn't have too much trouble talking to Fuji over your way. Peterborough's prolly just over the hill from you....   :laugh:

beermonster

holy cow Peterborough IS literally 20 mins up the road.

Fuji UK however are in Bedford in the UK which is 10 mins up the road. I've had demo's at fuji uk several times - nice place actually - their set up is almost half the damm industrial estate it's on!